97 Sho 1st Problem -tranny Leaker - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2009, 07:05   #1 (permalink)

97 Sho 1st Problem -tranny Leaker

I will try here for any input, however I am not hopefull for an easy fix.This car has 85,000 miles, runs great but when pushed or very hot absolutly bleeds tranny fluid.We baby the car and it only drips a little.It appears to come from the bellhousing area.I did change the filter and fluid,pan gasket ,ect.Would this car be worth it to have repaired (ripped off at the local tranny shop),or do you think It would be repairable to a home mechanic.thanks,Ern
BIG ERN is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2009, 09:01   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 Sho 1st Problem -tranny Leaker

The first thing you have to do is diagnose it properly. You could have two problems causing one big problem. Simple thing is your vent might be plugged. You could have a bad front seal in the transmission, bad converter shaft, bad converter bushing or all of the above. You could also have a bad crank in the engine. A bad or worn rear bearing will cause crank whip are tear out the new converter bushing and seal. Does your rear main seal leak ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 10:58   #3 (permalink)

The car does not leak a drop of oil.It also does not vibrate or make any unusual noises whether moving or not.Where is the vent and how would I go about to test it if thats what I need to do?
Old 10-23-2009, 11:24   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

When did the leak start? Suddenly or slowly got worse? Has it done that since you've had it?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 16:41   #5 (permalink)

A bad rear main bearing will not cause the engine to vibrate. If it does and the bearing is that bad trust me you will know it. It will not necessarily cause an oil leak either but it can cause the converter to whip. Remember the converter is BOLTED to the crank. Any movement on the crank will be transfered to the transmission and i mean a couple of thousands of an inch is all it takes. If your vent was that plugged you will probably see transmission oil blowing out your dip stick tube. You have a bad bushing, shaft, and seal in your converter shaft. The first thing I would suggest is take your car to a GOOD transmission shop and have them put the gauges on it and see what your pressures are.
Remember your car is almost 13 years old. It only has 85,000 miles on it so you say. Not a lot of miles. If the car has sat for a long time or not driven often the seals dry out. The weight of that converther can cause a flat spot in the crank bearing and converter bushing if sitting for a long time. Here is the thing. When you kick the shit out of it it leaks. when you baby it it does not leak. It's that simple. Something is worn out. If i look at a " muscle car " that is for sale the first thing i look at is the bottom of the bell housing. If there is oil there i know the engine was abused but some don't leak yet. You have to take your chances. So. What engine do you have ? That might help. What transmission do you have ? It's in your vin tag . To answer your last question YES a home mechanic can fix this problem if you know what the problem is and have the money to fix it and the time and proper tools. Bottom line is it has to come apart. See what you are up against. Good luck
Old 10-24-2009, 09:32   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 97 Sho 1st Problem -tranny Leaker

FYI, 96-99 SHO's used the AX4N trans.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 17:31   #7 (permalink)

The car was sitting for awhile,I bought it for my wife from a private owner,an older lady.She was the original owner.Maybe only a couple weeks since the purchase we did a trip ct.to md.,blew fluid out and all over the back of the car.Lost 1+ qt each way,maybe 2.Thru this summer when the car got real warm or after highway miles it would leak a steady almost stream into my driveway.Believe it or not it does not now seem to leak like that anymore,but we absolutly dont push it.This is a nice car but Im not sure if it's worth another couple thousand or whatever some tranny shop wants to have it repaired.Just trying to figure out which way to go. thanks, Ern
Old 10-24-2009, 20:21   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Sometimes the trans is overfilled. In other words, filled to the full mark when cold and then when the fluid gets hot on a hard run or uphill. the fluid expands and runs out.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2009, 04:41   #9 (permalink)

Very observant as to level of fluid,checking and adjusting to the middle of the hash marks on the stick.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:36   #10 (permalink)

Let me say this again. There is no way oil can come out between the engine and bell housing unless the front pump,seal,bushing assembly or converter is bad or any part of it is bad. If it stopped leaking or slowed down you might luck out. Just keep an eye on it. Oh yah, what colour is the oil that leaks out ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007