Ford Forums banner

97 Taures - cig lighter always 'hot'

3K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  chipset 
#1 ·
The cigarette lighter in my 1997 Ford Taurus is always on ('hot'). As I use this for my GPS, I would love it, if I turned off the ignition, the power is also disconnected from the lighter socket.

I have heard using a relay for this, but honestly this sounds like a lot of work and messing with a lot of different wires/connections.

I assume there must be an easier solution to this?

I have no experience with the wiring in this car (or any car!), so please go easy on me

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated!

See less See more
#3 ·
I actually bought already a power-outlet, but disconnected the wires from the original and connected them to the new one.
This simply so I can use it while the arm-rest is down.
Now to your solution:
Can I simply tap a wire on 1 of the "switched" fuses and do it that way?
What fuse would you recommend?
Doing some research, I found out that in the fusebox, the lighter is connected to fuse #20: 5A / Integrated control panel, remote entry, cigar lighter.
Now I was thinking, could I connect it to fuse #8: 5A / Power antenna, radio control unit, GEM ?? (hoping that that is a "switched" fuse)'

Thanks for your help so far and your fast(!) reply :hy:

#4 ·
You will need run the hot wire to the fuse, the other wire to a ground and that would work fine. Make sure you know which wires (+ -) are which coming out of the new socket, you don't want to reverse polarity.

If you have a test light or multi-meter you can tell pretty quick what fuses are dead with ignition off.

You will probably be ok jumping off that fuse since a GPS doesn't pull much current.

#5 ·
Why don't you just turn off the GPS with it's built in switch ? Cigar lighters don't use 5 amp fuses. That's your dash lights. Cigar lighters use either 20 or 30 amps. No offence but if you have no experiance with car wiring don't mess with it. A household drier uses 30 amps. That is some serious power. Ever seen a #10 wire short out, glow and cut a plastic dash almost in half. Took about 5 seconds, i think. You think 5 seconds is fast ?
Look at your watch and count it down when your arm is on fire. Just my input.

#6 ·
This is not a cigar lighter chip. In fact, a cigar lighter won't work in the unit above, its simply a power point.

flipandboef, if you decide to run a new wire to hookup a power point like shown above, use a inline blade or glass fuse holder where the positive wire connects to the fuse block, add a 5A fuse in the fuse holder.

or

#9 ·
Not a good idea. Use the on - off switch in the GPS and leave it plugged in. While it is
plugged in and truned off it still receives the " float or phantom " voltage . Everytime you start the car there is a large brown out and when the car starts there is a large
surge when the alt kicks in. The GPS won't last too long under those conditions. Your better off with a 110 volt converter and step it down to 12 volts if you want the GPS plugged in at all times. At least that way you have the built in filters and surge protection.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.