97 taurus blower fan motor - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
View Poll Results: has this question been asked before?
yes - 0 0%
no 3 75.00%
yes you idtiot - here is the posting 0 0%
good question 1 25.00%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2006, 16:57   #1 (permalink)

97 taurus blower fan motor

i have a 97 tuarus and the Ac/heater fan only work on high setting.. since the chiltons does not do much for me and the electrical supplies i need are about $400, i need to narrow down the components... based on troubleshooting so far, the motor is working, but i need some help with figuring out if the solonoid, or relay or motor switch is bad... i hate spending the $$ at auto parts to buy all the components and get it fixed, so any help in narrowing down the culpruit will be greatly appreciated.. gene
geneingoergia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2006, 19:14   #2 (permalink)
Always the student

Re: 97 taurus blower fan motor

Most likely would be the blower motor resistor, common problem on Fords
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 01:53   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

Could be the switch too. If you had a volt/ohm meter that would be easy to check. It seems backwards to me, usually the blower will work on all but high speeds, never heard of one just running on high unless the switch was bad.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 15:40   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Resistor is cheap and easy to get to. Located under the right front fender liner up high.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 18:23   #5 (permalink)

GEEE, a funny thing happened today on the way to the FORUM!

I just put my 99 Taurus on the road yesterday. The heater is just fine, in fact it gets tooo hot in the car with the fan on high. In the lower two positions the car gets cold!

I bet the fan stops running in these positions and will check it out tomorrow. Now for a resistor hunt!

Shoz-- going to take your advice again!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 18:42   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The resistor is the round ceramic thing between the horn and ww tank.

SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 18:46   #7 (permalink)

Thanks Shoz-- I will look for it tomorrow

Foggy
Old 01-19-2007, 08:45   #8 (permalink)

Sorry to jump in here unannounced. Looks like I have the same issue.

I saw on another forum that this can commonly be caused by water leaking in under the wiper cowl. Since I get a wet floor on the passenger side after every rain, I'm guess that's my issue anyway.

Where do I find the resistor? Apparently not something I can get at a local parts store (or online). Do I have to go to the dealer?

Thanks.
Tromos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2007, 11:51   #9 (permalink)

I think this is your problem------

I posted before about mine having the same problem. In fact, my heater had useful control in the two higher positions. Last week I could smell plastic burning, after the stench went away, so did the next to highest fan speed.

I did try looking for a resistor as described in an earlier post. There is no resistor in that location in my 99 Taurus. The Ford service CD I have states the heator blower motor switch resistor (18591) assembly resistor is located on the passenger side of the A/C evaporator housing behind the glove compartment. There are three elements in the resistor board, it is in the air stream.

Look under the glove compartment box and you should see a plastic shroud. Remove the shroud by just pulling on it. Look to the right under where the shroud was, you will see the blower motor. Within 3-5 inches or so, there is a rectangular piece of high temperature board with an electrical connector attached. Remove the connector along with the 2 each 5/16" screws using a spin tight or other tool. That is the resistor board.

I just visited my local Ford parts counter and paid $16--- for the replacement part. OH--- the guys at the counter warned to look at the connector that plugs into the board for over heating. There is a chance you might need to replace the connector also. My heater is now working properly

Good luck----

Foggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007