97 Taurus - camshaft position sensor, and a few other problems - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-24-2005, 19:40   #1 (permalink)

97 Taurus - camshaft position sensor, and a few other problems

Hey Everybody. I have had my car for about 3 years and it has around 130,000 miles on it, and I have a few minor problems.

My "Service engine soon" light came on resintally. The scan said that my camshaft position sensor malfuncitioned. I was wondering how much this part would cost. Also if this could be a do it yourself job. If I do have to bring this beast into a shop, is there any estimate of what the total bill might be?

My door handles get stuck in an upright position. I tried WD-40 but I Feel I need to take the panel off and do a better greasing job. But I Cant get the panel off, any tips?

One of my locks does not work, It will stay in its position, unless its physically pushed down or pulled up, what is broken here?

I know my car is a problem, but I love it. If someone could help me with some information, my car and I would really appreciate the information. Thanks so much for the help.
Frankie420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-24-2005, 23:34   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 Taurus - camshaft position sensor, and a few other problems

I've never had to remove this sensor .. it looks hard to get at.
See ...
http://www.cartrackers.com/Forums/live/Ford/283.html
Gary1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 06:35   #3 (permalink)

This is from a 99 but should be similar.

SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL(S) REQUIRED

CAUTION: Prior to removal of the Camshaft Position sensor (CMP sensor) , set cylinder No.1 to zero degrees Top Dead Center (TDC) of compression stroke. Note the position of the camshaft position sensor electrical connector. The installation procedure requires that the connector be located in the same position.

REMOVAL

Disconnect battery ground cable.
Disconnect engine control sensor wiring connector from camshaft position sensor.
Remove camshaft position sensor retaining screws and camshaft position sensor from camshaft position sensor housing.
If removing camshaft position sensor housing from the cylinder block, proceed with Removal Step 5. If not removing camshaft position sensor housing, proceed to installation Step 6.
Remove hold-down clamp (bolt and washer assembly).
Remove camshaft position sensor housing from cylinder block.
INSTALLATION

Attach Syncro Positioning Tool 303-589 as follows:
Engage camshaft position sensor housing vane into the radial slot of the tool.
Rotate tool on camshaft position sensor housing until tool boss engages notch in camshaft position sensor housing. CAUTION: A special service tool such as Syncro Positioning Tool 303-58g must be used to position the synchronizer assembly prior to installation of the camshaft position sensor. Failure to follow this procedure will result in improper camshaft position sensor alignment. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage.
Pre-lubricate synchronizer gear with engine oil meeting Ford specification WSS-M2C153-G prior to assembly.
Install camshaft position sensor housing so that drive gear engagement occurs. Locate camshaft position sensor electrical connector in the pre-removal position.
Install hold-down clamp (washer and bolt) and tighten bolt to 19-30 N.m (14-22 Lb-Ft) .
Remove Syncro Positioning Tool 303-589.
Install camshaft position sensor and retaining screws. Tighten screws to 1.5-4.0 N.m (14-35 Lb-In) . CAUTION: If camshaft position sensor electrical connector is not positioned properly, DO NOT reposition the connector by rotating the camshaft position sensor housing. This will result in the fuel system being out of time with the engine, possibly causing engine damage. Remove the camshaft position sensor housing and repeat installation procedure, beginning with Step 1.
Connect engine control sensor wiring connector to camshaft position sensor.
Connect battery ground cable.
Attached Images
File Type: gif Syncro Position Tool.gif (3.8 KB, 47 views)
File Type: gif CMP Sensor.gif (31.2 KB, 92 views)
99CTSABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2005, 07:22   #4 (permalink)

Wow! That is some really great infomation guys! I really greatful for the help. I'm might take a swing at changing it, but I might be over my head. So I might just take it into a mechanic.

One more question, how do I take the door panals off? Now I have a blown speaker, stuck handles, and non working locks...I Just need toget the panels off!! But I cannot figure it out. Thanks all!
Frankie420 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2005, 09:51   #5 (permalink)

Remove cover behind inside door handle.
Remove plug button from bottom of pull cup.
Remove screw retaining front door trim panel.
Remove sail speaker grill, if equipped.
Starting at bottom of trim panel, carefully remove door panel by pulling away from door. NOTE: Do not attempt to remove more than one pushpin at a time.
Disconnect electrical connectors as necessary.
Replace all removed pushpins with new pushpins.
To install, reverse removal procedure. Tighten door panel retaining screw to 1.4-2.0 N-m (12-18 lb-in) .
Attached Images
File Type: gif door panel.gif (23.6 KB, 36 views)
99CTSABLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007