97 taurus GL - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2007, 13:11   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1
97 taurus GL

hello everyone, I have a problem with my GL that I hope someone can help with.

It is dead in the water. This is/was my daily driver. Tried to start it and nothing. not even engine turning. tried jump starting and nothing. All I get is a click when turning ignition key. yes, there is fuel/oil/tranny fuild in..

So my question is, is it the Alt? or the Starter? or something else.

Prior symptoms: start the car, go about mile, wait at the traffic light, and the car would stop/die. no problem, turn the key and all is well. now this has only happened three times within the last 30-40 days.

ok, any help??
thanks,
fubas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 07-27-2007, 14:42   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
Exclamation Re: 97 taurus GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fubas
hello everyone, I have a problem with my GL that I hope someone can help with.

It is dead in the water. This is/was my daily driver. Tried to start it and nothing. not even engine turning. tried jump starting and nothing. All I get is a click when turning ignition key. yes, there is fuel/oil/tranny fuild in..

So my question is, is it the Alt? or the Starter? or something else.

Prior symptoms: start the car, go about mile, wait at the traffic light, and the car would stop/die. no problem, turn the key and all is well. now this has only happened three times within the last 30-40 days.

ok, any help??
thanks,
First, you posted in the wrong section. This section is for 2008 and newer Tauruses.
Second, is any of the warning lights turning on when you turn the key on??? If they turn on do they stay on when you turn the key to start??? If so then you probably have a bad starter.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2007, 04:48   #3 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck
 
Johnny Mullet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Ashtabula, Ohio
Age: 43
Posts: 1,486
Re: 97 taurus GL

I would also begin with the starter. Be sure to check battery and starter cable connections also.

Moved to proper forum.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 13:16   #4 (permalink)
canuck
 
360ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 2,475
Re: 97 taurus GL

battery's shot - get a new one
__________________
'00 Durango R/T 360ci 290hp (modded); 138,500m
'06 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L 220hp; 44,000m
'12 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L 283hp; 13,000m
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 20:44   #5 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
Exclamation Re: 97 taurus GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci
Battery's shot - get a new one.
If everything goes dead, yes. But if the warning lights and dome lights stay on it's a bad starter.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2007, 20:59   #6 (permalink)
canuck
 
360ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 2,475
Re: 97 taurus GL

he mentioned that the engine repeatedly clicks when he tries to start - 98% chance its the battery, also be sure that the terminals aren't badly corroded.
__________________
'00 Durango R/T 360ci 290hp (modded); 138,500m
'06 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L 220hp; 44,000m
'12 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L 283hp; 13,000m
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 08:06   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
Exclamation Re: 97 taurus GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360ci
He mentioned that the engine repeatedly clicks when he tries to start - 98% chance its the battery, also be sure that the terminals aren't badly corroded.
Re-read his post. He never said repeated clicking, he said a click. If he had repeated clicking, yes it's a low or bad battery. If he gets a single click with everything going dead it's either loose or very dirty connections, or a bad battery. If it is just a single click and nothing else goes dead its more than likely a starter or in rare cases a bad connection.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2007, 12:30   #8 (permalink)
canuck
 
360ci's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Waterloo
Posts: 2,475
Re: 97 taurus GL

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636
Re-read his post. He never said repeated clicking, he said a click. If he had repeated clicking, yes it's a low or bad battery. If he gets a single click with everything going dead it's either loose or very dirty connections, or a bad battery. If it is just a single click and nothing else goes dead its more than likely a starter or in rare cases a bad connection.
Exactly, that's what I stated in my previous post only not as thorough.
__________________
'00 Durango R/T 360ci 290hp (modded); 138,500m
'06 Pontiac G6 GT 3.5L 220hp; 44,000m
'12 Chrysler 200 Limited 3.6L 283hp; 13,000m
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2007, 10:10   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 240
Re: 97 taurus GL

If there is a click or clicking with the headlights on and the headlights do not go out, then it is not the battery.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.