97 taurus overheats w/ AC on - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2005, 17:07   #1 (permalink)

frown 97 taurus overheats w/ AC on

Hi everyone,
I just had the AC in my car fixed the other day and it works great. The only problem is that after about 15 minutes of city driving with the AC on, the car begins to overheat. When I'm on the highway, the temp stays about midrange but as soon as I stop, it instantly climbs just shy of the red line. The local temp here is around 95 degrees so naturally its going to heat up, but this is rediculous. Any help would be great. Thanks.
crazymonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2005, 21:45   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: 97 taurus overheats w/ AC on

What did the shop do to fix your AC problem? It sounds like the "back up" fan is not kicking on when the ac clutch kicks in.....meaning you only have one fan running and that is not running at a higher rpm.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2005, 00:24   #3 (permalink)

Well, the AC itself was fine. The only thing that the guys at the shop did was service the freon.
crazymonito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2005, 13:05   #4 (permalink)

Is the A/C luke warm, or not quite ice cold? Because there is a fan for the a/c condenser in the front and then a radiator fan as well. Usually my 96 actually runs cooler with the A/C on just because that second fan is going as well.

My guess would be that it seems when you turn the AC on your radiator fan turns off, thus there is nothing cooling the radiator and the car overheats.
modenaf1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007