'97 Taurus Tranny Issues - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2007, 11:39   #1 (permalink)

'97 Taurus Tranny Issues

Tranny acting up in my girl's car. Couple of weeks ago her brother was driving it on the highway and said it was running high rpm's as if it shifted back down to third and was stuck in it. Problem cleared and didn't show its face untill yesterday when my g/f was driving it. I went over there and checked it out and it wouldn't shift out of first. I tried to manually shift it to no avail. Wasn't slipping or anything, just wouldn't shift. Then this morning her brother tries it again and it's acting fine. My thought is the MLPS but reading online I saw potentially the VSS as well. I'm still leaning towards the MLPS but I wanted to get some other opinions. I'm pretty convinced that this is an electrical problem and not mechanical. Thanks for all the input in advance.
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-14-2007, 17:35   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: '97 Taurus Tranny Issues

What tranny do you have? AX4S or AX4N? Or how many pins on the TRS connector?
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:06   #3 (permalink)

Not too sure, but I want to say the AX4S. We drove the car again and it was working fine. That obviously convinced me that this problem is electrical in nature. Would the MLPS or VSS throw a OBD-II code if there was a malfunction? My only other guess is that the computer itself is tripping out because there have been some other strange electrical issues before in this car but none dealing with the tranny until now.
dryelf327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2007, 13:17   #4 (permalink)

VSS problems usually don't throw a code, but they also usually manifest themselves with speedometer "jumping"
Dr. Disque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 15:13   #5 (permalink)

Hi dryelf327,

I know someone having the same symptoms you described.

Did you ever figure out the problem and/or solution ?

Thanks,
keys
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 17:13   #6 (permalink)

I think my car is having the same issue, did you ever get anything figured out? Thanks.

96 Taurus Tranny and Electric problems
dsm1290 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 18:56   #7 (permalink)

My friend took his car to a trans shop and they rebuilt it.
They said it had 2 burnt clutches.

Seemed like odd symptoms (worked sometimes...but not other times)
for burnt clutches, but thats all I know.
keys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 17:18   #8 (permalink)

Re: '98 Taurus Tranny and speedometer problems

My son's car just recently started having problems with the speedometer jumping erratically. I drove it for a few miles and of course found no problems. Then today he said that it was hosed up. So I drove it for awhile and was just about ready to pronounce it OK, when it did start to act up. First the speedometer sarted to jump a little, then it just quit indicating speed at all. Then it would work, then stop. Then the tranny seemed like it was slipping and the motor was revving very high. But I realized that it just didn't seem to be shifting out of first. But as soon as I would let off the throttle, it seemed to shift. As soon as I gave it a little throttle, it seemed like it was stuck in first again.

Everything was fine at first with no indications of any problems (speedometer was working fine and tranny shifting smoothly the way it should. Then it just went haywire.

I think this could be an electrical problem or computer like some of the previous posters said.
Does anybody have any ideas? Also, is there a glossary for all the acronyms I see floating around on this board.

Thanks for the help and advice!
mjoliat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2008, 19:53   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

It's probably the VSS sensor located on the passenger end of the tranny.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2008, 10:16   #10 (permalink)

Re: '97 Taurus Tranny Issues-resolved

Thanks everybody for the advice. It does appear to have been the VSS. After getting the correct one (2nd trip to NAPA), I replaced it and I drove it all around without any issues. Thanks again. I'm becoming a firm believer in all the different internet forums. If you can find an answer on one of them, then there is no answer.
mjoliat58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007