97 Taurus Trans & cig lighter - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-18-2005, 09:18   #1 (permalink)

Arrow 97 Taurus Trans & cig lighter

It is more then obvious that Ford really fouled up on the taurus design. All I see are posts about the Taurus transmission. Well I am here to join the ranks and ask for some advise. We have a 97 Taurus LX (not SHO motor) with 109k miles

Here is the problem

Overdrive is gone - when it supposed to shift the OD light starts blinking
Must drive in 2nd until about 55 then put in drive and it might shift to 3rd but you must keep the RPMs around 3k - 4k for the it to slowly get going into gear. It seems not to be able to down shift when and if Im lucky enough to shift to 3rd.

2nd problem - The cigerette lighter doesnt work. I have checked every fuse I can find in the fuse box. Is there another fuse or something else to check? I have bought an after market cig lighter and attempted to hook up but I cant find a power source coming out of the fuse box. [argh]

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
Willard, MO.

-smile and you will make them wonder what you are up to.
billiardnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-22-2005, 16:09   #2 (permalink)

Re: 97 Taurus Trans & cig lighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by billiardnut
It is more then obvious that Ford really fouled up on the taurus design. All I see are posts about the Taurus transmission. Well I am here to join the ranks and ask for some advise. We have a 97 Taurus LX (not SHO motor) with 109k miles

Here is the problem

Overdrive is gone - when it supposed to shift the OD light starts blinking
Must drive in 2nd until about 55 then put in drive and it might shift to 3rd but you must keep the RPMs around 3k - 4k for the it to slowly get going into gear. It seems not to be able to down shift when and if Im lucky enough to shift to 3rd.

2nd problem - The cigerette lighter doesnt work. I have checked every fuse I can find in the fuse box. Is there another fuse or something else to check? I have bought an after market cig lighter and attempted to hook up but I cant find a power source coming out of the fuse box. [argh]

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Brian
Willard, MO.

-smile and you will make them wonder what you are up to.
I think the trick here is to determine if the transmission problem is due to the transmission controls (transmission is changed electronically) OR the transmission itself. I would connect a test light (low power LED) between pin 52 (3rd gear) of the EEC and ground and/or pin 55 (overdrive) and ground and see if the signal to the transmission was calling for this gear (take care not to short these pins to ground). (Note .. these pin numbers may not be correct for your transmission .. make sure the colors are pink/blk (55) and ppl/org (52)). If the LED suggests that there is no electronic signal present to change the gear .. you may have a bad speed sensor (VSS).

As for the ciggy lighter .. they are usually powered by circuit breaker #12 (not a fuse) which also powers the horn.
Gary1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007