97 taurus wont shift out of first gear - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 19:49   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
97 taurus wont shift out of first gear

This is a beater car but runs good w/ a good AC, has about 180k miles. The speedometer quit working and the transmission won't shift out of first gear. Sometimes it will shift hard but only after a mile or two. And sometimes the speedo will kick in and it seems to start shifting right when that happens.

I have replaced the output side speed sensor on the tranny and speedo still not working and tranny still not shifting. The plug and wire look ok. What else could I replace cheaply? Is the input speed sensor going to have anything to do w/ shifting and can someone tell me where exactly it is. I bought one and it has a shaft that spins so I am thinking it goes in the dash and has nothing to do w/ the shifting but could be wrong.

Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks.
df0rster is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 08-18-2009, 21:13   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
cool Re: 97 taurus wont shift out of first gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by df0rster View Post
This is a beater car but runs good w/ a good AC, has about 180k miles. The speedometer quit working and the transmission won't shift out of first gear. Sometimes it will shift hard but only after a mile or two. And sometimes the speedo will kick in and it seems to start shifting right when that happens.

I have replaced the output side speed sensor on the tranny and speedo still not working and tranny still not shifting. The plug and wire look ok. What else could I replace cheaply? Is the input speed sensor going to have anything to do w/ shifting and can someone tell me where exactly it is. I bought one and it has a shaft that spins so I am thinking it goes in the dash and has nothing to do w/ the shifting but could be wrong.

Any ideas are appreciated.

thanks.
Sounds like you have a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor.
Newbie Question
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:17   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 7
Re: 97 taurus wont shift out of first gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Sounds like you have a bad Vehicle Speed Sensor.
Newbie Question
Can you tell me where that is? I thought that's what I replaced on top of the tranny but I could be wrong. I know it had an input and output speed sensor, I think I replaced the input but I'm not sure. it was on top of the tranny w/ a magnet in it.
df0rster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 15:12   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: 97 taurus wont shift out of first gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by df0rster View Post
Can you tell me where that is? I thought that's what I replaced on top of the tranny but I could be wrong. I know it had an input and output speed sensor, I think I replaced the input but I'm not sure. it was on top of the tranny w/ a magnet in it.


Hello and good day:


Located at rear center of engine compartment, mounted on the transaxle. Follow the highlighted wiring harness to the transaxle.

Most common is the speed sensor, its wiring harness, then the actual gauge. Follow this link: 1997 Ford Taurus Speedometer relay - Location?


FROM WIKIANSWERS.COM

Answer

if its the same as a 98, then with the hood up and your looking towards the rear of the car, its on the left side of the engine, at the back, look way down over the exhaust manifold and you will see a two wires in an insulated sleeve disappearing into a rectangular heat shield, pull on the heat shield and it will come off and slide up the wires and voila there it is. Mine was a swine to get out, the top part of the vss sensor came off, i had to thread a 5/16 lag bolt into the thing and pound it out with a slide hammer gear puller, but the shop wanted $400 to replace it.. I was successful and went to dinner with the savings lol

Answer

The trick is to snake your arm down the back, adjacent to the manifold pipe, and unplug the wiring harness. I used a 10mm socket to unscrew the bolt that holds the sensor in place. Once the screw was out it was easy to pull the sensor out and rush to Auto Zone and get a new one. Reverse the process in putting the sensor in(20 min flat), test drove that bad boy and it works like a charm. All done it cost me $20 that's a far cry from $150 to $250 to have it done at a garage. Yeah! I'am a happy camper.
__________________
Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"

Last edited by Sterling_Six; 08-23-2009 at 15:14. Reason: Added Information
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 17:48.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.