98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2005, 13:14   #1 (permalink)

98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

I had a code for a bad Camshaft Position Sensor. I found the sensor (buried beneath the cable bundle), I manager to pry up on the cable bundle w/ a screwdriver just enough to unscrew the two 8mm screws holding in the sensor. I replaced the sensor and the codes were reset, but the next time I started the car the light came back on with the same code. I've been told it is likely the Cam Sensor Synchronizer. I've found mixed information, but most things say engine need set #1 at TDC, how do you do this?

The second thing some have said you need an alignment tool, others have said just mark the old part, which is correct? (The alignment tool looks unescessary based on the picture).

Also it seems like the sychronizer is a long vain like assembly? How is this removed with the wiring harness? Is it possible to wiggle it out with the harness pryed out of the way?

Finally, I found MOTORCRAFT PART # DA2089 as "Synchronizer Assy: SEFI (Distriutorless Ignition) #F8DZ12A362AA" is this the actual part I need?

I can't really find a walkthrough on replacing this part, although it seems like a lot of people need to replace it.

I'm also getting a SECONDARY AIR INTAKE failture code? I've never heard of this? What could it be?
Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Justin1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-03-2005, 09:33   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

Justin1980,

I just delt with this on my '97 3.0L Taurus.

On my car I also got the code. With new sensor from Autozone I took out the old sensor to find the magnet had fallen into the Cam Sensor Synchronizer, and bent the "cup" or rotor, if you like. I removed the throttle body so the wiring harness had a little more slack. I marked the Cam Sensor Synchronizer position AND the rotor inside. I pulled the Cam Sensor Synchronizer and put it in a vise. Using a socket and waterpump pliars I reshaped the rotor until I got no rubbing from the Cam Sensor.

Of course I did all this with the battery unplugged to naturally clear the code.

I then put everything back together and it worked fine.

Hopefully you didn't trash the new sensor, and you can likewise straighten your Cam Sensor Synchronizer.

Good luck.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 13:34   #3 (permalink)

Any chance of a picture of where this sensor is located at or a better description? I have a 97 sable with the pushrod 3.0 and do not have a clue as to where you guys are talking about other than somewhere on the top of the motor.

Thanks,
Big Ed H
Big Ed H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 13:42   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ed H
Any chance of a picture of where this sensor is located at or a better description? I have a 97 sable with the pushrod 3.0 and do not have a clue as to where you guys are talking about other than somewhere on the top of the motor.

Thanks,
Big Ed H
It's right near the throttle body, under a plastic wiring track. Towards the left side of the car.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 13:47   #5 (permalink)

confused Re: 98 Ford Taurus Camshaft Position Sensor / Synchronizer Replacement

That is a little confusing as the throttle body on my car is basically in the middle of the car pointing towards the drivers side. If that is the case, it is actually at the back of the engine.
Big Ed H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2007, 20:55   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Here is the location of the assembly on my 01 Taurus.

jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2008, 10:50   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

A word of warning. The Dorman brand replacement parts don't last long.

Dorman(CHINESE) syncro #689-104 (1996-1997 3.0L Vulcan) and #689-107 (for a 98 3.0L Vulcan)
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007