98 Tarus Transmission Unbelievable - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2010, 10:26   #1 (permalink)

98 Tarus Transmission Unbelievable

98 Taurus been shifting rough occasionally and then low and behold one day starts bucking so bad I thought someone hit me, then starts leaking fluid the same day. I put in some pepper to get me home then put in stop leak and it quits leaking but makes the whining noise like it’s out of fluid but isn’t. Stops going on way to work but after an hour sitting there running starts going again and gets to work 5 miles away and now wont go again. Left it over the weekend and it mysteriously started working again for a few blocks before stopping while whining. Is there something other than needing a new tranny that this could be? Like for some reason it isn’t getting the fluid to the gears so it doesn’t go. It’s totally baffling and now it says the Overdrive is off regardless of rather it is so Im hoping it could be something else. Any input is appreciated!!!
clydefrog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-11-2010, 11:49   #2 (permalink)

Re: 98 Tarus Transmission Unbelievable

Sounds like your transmission front pump is cavitating. Now that you put pepper and
trans stop leak in it your going to need a transmission rebuild. What codes do you get ?
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 11:53   #3 (permalink)
Administrator

I've never heard of using pepper in a transmission. Sounds disastrous! Wasn't that old trick for the radiator?

I would imagine it stopped up the pump, valve body and filter.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 12:12   #4 (permalink)

Wow there is no way to flush it or anything? I don't get any codes from it but then again my engine light is still on from when I replaced the MAF myself. Surely there is a way to flush it out like you do a radiator??? I will pile drive myself if I ruined it by doing that.
Old 01-11-2010, 13:21   #5 (permalink)
Administrator

To be honest, I don't know if you would ever get all the pepper out.

I'm not for sure if you will need a rebuild or not. I'll let some of our Ford mechanics chime in on this one.
Old 01-11-2010, 13:52   #6 (permalink)

Let us know if the pile drive thing really hurts. You ain't NEVER gettin that stuff out of the valve body. Pepper is tree bark. It doesn't desolve. When wet it swells up. That is why your leak stopped. Thing is you still have " old " engine light codes. Your transmission code if any is probably buried in the old engine code you didn't fix or erase.
Send it out and save yourself a lot of money. Have them put a code scanner on your transmission. Good luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2010, 14:21   #7 (permalink)

I went out at lunch and started it and it took off for a couple of blocks then I sat there with it in drive and felt a slip then it stopped working again. If I go back out in a couple of hours it will go again until I stop then it will stop working. I dodnt put that much pepper into it, well I guess it's time to find a non dealer transmission place i guess, stupid me. You just jump up into a handstand then let go and drop on your head, it's pretty easy I'm told.
Old 01-11-2010, 14:34   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

I would not drive it at all until you have this looked at. Each time you do, you damage it that much more, not to mention risk being stranded.
Old 01-11-2010, 14:40   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Chipset is right, you'll need a trans rebuild. I wouldn't trust it even if it happened to start working, which I doubt very much.
Old 01-11-2010, 16:17   #10 (permalink)

Gonan find some place to take it. Certainly aint taking it to no Ford Dealership.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007