98 Taurus oil leaking - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2008, 02:19   #1 (permalink)

frown 98 Taurus oil leaking

When I went to Walmart to change oil last week, I was told the car has a very bad leaking. Then I went to a mechanical shop, they checked the car and found 3 places that is leaking.

oil pan leaking
valve covers leaking
rear main seal leaking

They can fix the first two and asked for >$500. They can not fixed the third one. They recommended me another place that may be able to fix it. I knew little about how to fix a car. Can someone tell me if these problems are serious? Is it possible if I fix them myself?
Thanks.
tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2008, 09:14   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 98 Taurus oil leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tentacle View Post
When I went to Walmart to change oil last week, I was told the car has a very bad leaking. Then I went to a mechanical shop, they checked the car and found 3 places that is leaking.

oil pan leaking
valve covers leaking
rear main seal leaking

They can fix the first two and asked for >$500. They can not fixed the third one. They recommended me another place that may be able to fix it. I knew little about how to fix a car. Can someone tell me if these problems are serious? Is it possible if I fix them myself?
Thanks.
The valve covers, yes. Very easy to do, upper intake just has to come off.
The oil pan, maybe. The hardest part is unbolting the catalytic converter assy. The bolts will be rusted and could break off.
The rear main seal, I'd say no because the transmission has to come out to do it. Unless it looses allot of oil after doing the oil pan and the valve covers I'd say just leave it until it gets worse.
3.0L Vulcan???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:17   #3 (permalink)

Re: 98 Taurus oil leaking

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
The valve covers, yes. Very easy to do, upper intake just has to come off.
The oil pan, maybe. The hardest part is unbolting the catalytic converter assy. The bolts will be rusted and could break off.
The rear main seal, I'd say no because the transmission has to come out to do it. Unless it looses allot of oil after doing the oil pan and the valve covers I'd say just leave it until it gets worse.
3.0L Vulcan???
I have a '97 3.0L vulcan that last year developed an oil leak. First I thought it was the oil pan and had that replaced for $400. The shop couldn't see it was the rear main at the time. I had the rear main replaced and it was about $1100 due to removing the tranny and virtually removing the engine. I suspect both were leaking anyway. I still have a slight valve cover leak but very minimal.

I'd say, if they can pin down which one it is, or both, you can make a more informed decision about whether its worth it to you.

Had I known I was in for these repairs plus some others, I probably would have dumped the car.

Since nothing has gone wrong since September (fingers crossed) I feel better about the decision. At least it conforms to my philosophy that repairs like this are cyclical.
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 20:26   #4 (permalink)

Re: 98 Taurus oil leaking

Thank you guys for replies.

I am hesitating to fix it or not. Like dac122 said, it may not worth to do so. They told me those three problems but I forgot to ask how bad they are leaking. I may ask them about this to make a better decision.
tentacle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007