99 Ford Taurus help for dummies - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-27-2008, 19:32   #1 (permalink)

Question 99 Ford Taurus help for dummies

Hey ya'll,

Let me just start by saying I am an unemployed full-time student/single mom and need any help/suggestions you are willing to provide.

While I am pretty mechanically inclined, and do own my own tools, I have not really done any extensive work on my car. But since I lack the funds, I must muddle through.

My heater quit working and only blows cool/barely warm (if it's hot outside) air, my ac still works but the max switch no longer works only the min, which I can live with but the no heat thing is kind of getting to me.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix or where to find out what I might need to do without having to sell a kidney?
KCnTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-27-2008, 20:32   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Question Re: 99 Ford Taurus help for dummies

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCnTexas View Post

Hey ya'll,

Let me just start by saying I am an unemployed full-time student/single mom and need any help/suggestions you are willing to provide.

While I am pretty mechanically inclined, and do own my own tools, I have not really done any extensive work on my car. But since I lack the funds, I must muddle through.

My heater quit working and only blows cool/barely warm (if it's hot outside) air, my ac still works but the max switch no longer works only the min, which I can live with but the no heat thing is kind of getting to me.

Any suggestions on what I can try to fix or where to find out what I might need to do without having to sell a kidney?
Make sure the coolant is full. About the Upper mark of the cold fill range on the coolant bottle in the RF corner of the engine compartment. Next to the washer bottle neck. Next, do you have manual controls or elctronic controls for the A/C-heater???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 15:18   #3 (permalink)
Ex-Ford master tech

Re: 99 Ford Taurus help for dummies

These were bad for brown coolant, you might have some blockage in the heater core.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 17:08   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Make sure the coolant is full. About the Upper mark of the cold fill range on the coolant bottle in the RF corner of the engine compartment. Next to the washer bottle neck. Next, do you have manual controls or elctronic controls for the A/C-heater???
this is what it looks like, I am guessing they are manual??

Coolant is full.
Old 02-29-2008, 17:09   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by btexpress View Post
These were bad for brown coolant, you might have some blockage in the heater core.
How would I check that or do I have to have someone do it?

Thanks!
Old 02-29-2008, 18:26   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 99 Ford Taurus help for dummies

That is the manual system. The coolant you just check it's color. If it's lime green the it's clean. If it's a greenish brown or muddy brown it's overdue for a flush. With the engine warmed up you can check the temperature of the heater hoses going in and out of the heater core. They should be pretty close in temperature. If the outlet is cold and the inlet is hot you have a blockage in the heater core. You will see where the heater hoses go from the engine to the firewall. The heater hoses are towards the left side low down. The A/C lines are to the right. there have been a few members that have found corroded water pump impellers, but they usually have an overheating problem with it. See what you find and we'll go from there. Caution!!! The heater hoses can get hot, wear some gloves when checking the hose temps. They don't have to be too thick.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:52   #7 (permalink)

Exactly as t-bird said. If you want to do it yourself youll need to drain the coolant.(draincock located near front grille under headlight). Then disconnect the two heater hoses. You will be better off disconnecting the one hose where it connects to the t-stat housing and the other hose near the water pump. Block off the bypass hose with a pair of vicegrips. I attached a short piece of a garden hose with the male end cut off, this way I slipped the cut end over the metal pipe that comes out of the heater core. Flush from waterpump side to thermostat side(backflush) Flush away. Just dont apply to much water pressure or you could burst the core. You may also want to dump some cleaner/degreaser like Castrol Superclean and let it soak, then flush. Dont be surprised if you have to repeat this a couple of times. I've done mine twice this winter.
coonerboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 10:22   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

You need to flush the cooling system, then flush out the heater core using a garden hose. Don't let the pressure get too high.

Vulcans should have the system flushed yearly as Ford really screwed up the cooling system on the later years (+96).
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 15:57   #9 (permalink)

Oh my, there are just too many hoses, lol.

Thanks for all of your help, I am going to take it by a place to give me an estimate so maybe I know exactly what is wrong and I will go from there.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007