99 Taurus Brake Problem - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2004, 23:36   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus Brake Problem

My 99 Taurus Wagon has had a problem with the rear disc brakes from day 1. The rear pads always drag excessively on the rotors causing them to overheat resulting in premature brake pad wear. Two repair attempts at local shops have failed.
I recently changed the rear rotors, calipers, and pads. One frozen slide pin was replaced and the other three were checked and lubed. All sliding surfaces were cleaned and lubed. The entire system was thoroughly bled. The parking brake cable was slacked off to the minimum tension for proper function.
When I spin the wheels by hand, the pads are dragging a bit but nothing out of the ordinary. BUT the rotors are still overheating to the point that I can smell it when I get out of the car.
At an earlier time, a shop suggested that the fluid had become contaminated. When the car was stopped at intersections, the brake pedal would bottom out on the floor. The diagnosis was that the fluid was flowing past swollen / damaged o-rings. The master cylinder was changed, the system thoroughly bled, and all seemed well.
If there is residual contamination in the system, could it have damaged the o-rings (are there any?) in the proportioning valve and would that explain the overheating?
Or am I missing some other problem?
Thanks in Advance
ONLYFORDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-18-2004, 23:41   #2 (permalink)

Re: 99 Taurus Brake Problem

I forgot to mention, it does NOT have anti-lock brakes.
ONLYFORDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2004, 10:35   #3 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

I am leaning more towards the valve for the rear brakes is bad. I have that same problem with my 98 SHO and I still have not yet replaced it LOL I really did a number with my rear rotors and I should have replaced it all at once.
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 06:49   #4 (permalink)

I have a 1994 Taurus with ABS, and my rear brakes are exhibiting similar symptoms. But on my car, one caliper sticks worse than the other. Would this "Rear Valve" be at fault? I too have replaced the Calipers and Pads with no success.

How hard is it to replace the "Rear Valve"? Is it a dealer item?
springoflife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2004, 22:08   #5 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Quote:
Originally Posted by springoflife
I have a 1994 Taurus with ABS, and my rear brakes are exhibiting similar symptoms. But on my car, one caliper sticks worse than the other. Would this "Rear Valve" be at fault? I too have replaced the Calipers and Pads with no success.

How hard is it to replace the "Rear Valve"? Is it a dealer item?
The valve isnt hard to replace at all!!! On my SHO it is located right next to the rear caliper on the drivers side behind the dust shield. Im not sure where they are located on those models.
Monroe, MI

Old 08-25-2004, 03:40   #6 (permalink)

98SHOTOY,

Thank you for your reply! There appears to be a valve in that exact area you described.

I was unable to locate a replacement valve from my local Aftermarket Parts Store. Is this a dealer item? About how much $$$$ am I looking at?
Old 08-25-2004, 06:11   #7 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Unfortunately I think that is a stealer-ship only part. Maybe check around with different repair shops and see if their prices are better then the stealer-ships.
Monroe, MI

Old 08-25-2004, 08:04   #8 (permalink)

Thanks!
Old 12-06-2005, 10:49   #9 (permalink)

I'm having this same issue. Had the brakes done at ford, 18 months later, got this nasty warbling noise out of the left rear brake when going slow with foot OFF brake.

Took in to meineke, took 30miles of driving to heat them up to exhibit issue. They replaces calipers (reman oem), did the discs, etc. Pads had melted to the discs.

Week later, still making noise. Took back in, they found the emergency cable maladjusted. Fixed that. Ok for the most part but the car still seems to drag, and makes noise once every 3 weeks now when cold, not hot. is a "whoo whoo whoom whoom whoom" noise until i apply the brakes.

Took into ford, they blamed the calipers. Of course it had THEIR calipers on from the previous repair at their place 20 months ago. So I don' buy it.

Could I be suffering from this valve issue also? Everyone is at a loss and they want to fix it while it is making the noise but it is very random now, and the car still seems to drag, even those the discs look clean.
sriggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 15:38   #10 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The valves seldom go bad. Sounds like a rear brake hose problem to me.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007