99 Taurus - Engine Light Rough Idle - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2009, 09:11   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus - Engine Light Rough Idle

My wife was driving our 99 Taurus 3.0 OHV last weekend when the engine light came on and the car started to run rough. The idle is really rough and it feels like it will stall. She also thinks she smells burning rubber and thinks it's the belt, but I can't imagine that anything wrong with the belt could cause a rough idle.

It runs the same as when we leave it for a few days without starting except it doesn't go away after a few minutes.

Is there a way to read the engine light codes without a scanner? I know on my 00 Maxima there is an LED on the cpu that flashes and tells you the code.

Other than going to a shop and paying for them to use the scanner, I'll start with a tune up, plugs & fuel filter.

We've had it for a year and I haven't done anything towards a tune up, but I did replace the thermostat, waterpump, & radator cap a few months ago.

Thanks for your help.
ryant35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-28-2009, 09:17   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: 99 Taurus - Engine Light Rough Idle

Take it to an Autozone. They check the codes for free.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2009, 09:30   #3 (permalink)

Awesome! Thanks! Atleast I'll have somewhere to start with.
Old 10-28-2009, 10:06   #4 (permalink)

check your vaccum hoses, partic the one running from the pcv to the TB
eckstei4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 10:36   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Take it to an Autozone. They check the codes for free.
FYI at least in the state of California, parts stores are no longer allowed to pull engine codes with a scanner. They do offer one for purchase for $59.99.

Pep Boys service center did pull the code for free. They do charge for diagnostic, but if you have the manual with the codes, it's easy enough.

So the codes where:

Misfire detected on cylinder #5
Fuel too lean

So I'm going to check #5 and inspect the plug & wire. I'll just replace all the plugs anyway. And for the first step with running lean my diagnosis would be dirt fuel injector, and maybe this is why the plug may have been fouled? So I'll run a fuel injector cleaner through and see what happens.
Old 11-09-2009, 12:17   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Check the ohms in the wire, They should be around 5k ohm. per ft. Keep us posted.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2010, 17:13   #7 (permalink)

So I got around to replacing plugs and wires and it still ran the same.

Now I have determined that one of the head gaskets is blown, and I believe that is the reason for the cylinder #5 misfire. It ran out of coolant after I noticed a lot of white smoke out the exhaust long with what I think was a ton of water.

So I'm ordering a head gasket set & head bolts tonight for a long weekend...
Old 01-21-2010, 17:26   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's too bad. But at least you know how to do it yourself. Have you done a compression check? They also are prone to have coils go bad. Keep us posted.
Old 01-22-2010, 11:55   #9 (permalink)

Had the exact same problem with my 98 Taurus and I thought for sure all my vacuum hoses were good but took it in finally and they found a 6 inch long thick u shaped vacuum hose with a hole in it. My enngine light came on the same day that started but the light was for the Torque Converter so both were causing the problem. But as a fix before I could afford to take it to the shop I disconnected the MAF and IAC and it evened out the idle, but I wouldnt suggest running it for more than a few days because you lose alot of data, but it works in a pinch.
clydefrog69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 15:46   #10 (permalink)

Go very carefully and check the heads. You might want to order new ones also.
Cast iron doesn't usually move when over heated. Aluminum will. I'd suggest you send them out and have then checked or you might find out you just threw away a lot of money when the new head gaskest blow again in a week. Be carefull and good luck.
chipset is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007