99 Taurus front wheel bearings - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2008, 12:04   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus front wheel bearings

Last year I purchased new wheel bearings for my Taurus. Last week I had to change my rotors and pads to get rid of a bad shimmy when applying the brakes so I thought this would be a good time to also change the bearings.

Well, I didn't get very far! First I could not get the da$#% 3 holding bolts out of the old bearing/hub assembly so I just gave up. But I have a 99 Ford CD and was looking at it today, it appears that from what I could figure out, I need to remove the entire wheel knuckle in order to remove the bearing assembly.

Not sure when I will attempt this again but has anybody changed the front bearings and if so, what was the procedure. Note, I have a noisey wheel bearing, that is why I purchased these things last year. Now though, I find it might be the rear bearings rather than the front units. I still would like to know how to change the bearings though.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2008, 21:39   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 99 Taurus front wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
Last year I purchased new wheel bearings for my Taurus. Last week I had to change my rotors and pads to get rid of a bad shimmy when applying the brakes so I thought this would be a good time to also change the bearings.

Well, I didn't get very far! First I could not get the da$#% 3 holding bolts out of the old bearing/hub assembly so I just gave up. But I have a 99 Ford CD and was looking at it today, it appears that from what I could figure out, I need to remove the entire wheel knuckle in order to remove the bearing assembly.

Not sure when I will attempt this again but has anybody changed the front bearings and if so, what was the procedure. Note, I have a noisey wheel bearing, that is why I purchased these things last year. Now though, I find it might be the rear bearings rather than the front units. I still would like to know how to change the bearings though.

Foggy
Besides taking the axle nut off, you have to seperate the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. Should use a puller, as the lower control arm is only stamped steel piece. Whole spindle does not have to come off.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 07:42   #3 (permalink)

Re: 99 Taurus front wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Besides taking the axle nut off, you have to seperate the lower ball joint from the lower control arm. Should use a puller, as the lower control arm is only stamped steel piece. Whole spindle does not have to come off.

YES!!! That was stated in the instructions on the CD ALTHOUGH IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. Almost reads like one has to toot the horn, turn on the wipers and roll down the windows in order to change a flat!

My background is electrical engineering. In my past position as an engineering manager I frequently found contraption ideas presented to me by mechanical engineers. Most engineers are very good in the profession but others make me wonder. Why the #$@* does a ball joint need to be removed to change a wheel bearing??

Foggy

EDIT: There is an excellent discussion over at the TaurusClub on changing bearings. The pointer is below, if it doesn't violate board rules and is not removed.

3rd Gen Front Wheel Bearing Replacement With Pics - Taurus Car Club of America

Last edited by foggysail; 09-27-2008 at 09:12. Reason: Adding info--
Old 09-28-2008, 18:30   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 99 Taurus front wheel bearings

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
YES!!! That was stated in the instructions on the CD ALTHOUGH IT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME. Almost reads like one has to toot the horn, turn on the wipers and roll down the windows in order to change a flat!

My background is electrical engineering. In my past position as an engineering manager I frequently found contraption ideas presented to me by mechanical engineers. Most engineers are very good in the profession but others make me wonder. Why the #$@* does a ball joint need to be removed to change a wheel bearing??

Foggy

EDIT: There is an excellent discussion over at the TaurusClub on changing bearings. The pointer is below, if it doesn't violate board rules and is not removed.

3rd Gen Front Wheel Bearing Replacement With Pics - Taurus Car Club of America
Well, after looking at the write-up on TCCA's forum, I can point out 2 flaws with the procedure. 1. the axle nut will be really hard to remove with such a small ratchet, you will need to loosen and remove it with the wheel still on with a big enough ratchet or an impact gun. 2. DO NOT USE THE 2 JAW TIE ROD PULLER TO PULL OFF THE BEARING. THIS WILL PUSH FORCE AGAINST THE INNER AND OUTER CV JOINTS AND COULD DAMAGE THEM. THE SPINDLE WILL MORE THAN LIKELY COCK TO ONE SIDE WHEN THE PULLER IS TIGHTENED. You're replacing the bearing anyways, just hammer on the hub and it will come out. You should be able to sneak out the bolts with extensions and universal joints with the axle pushed in (tap the end with the nut on the end of the threads with a soft faced shot filled hammer. It should push in enough by hand to get on the bolts. Otherwise, you'll still have to pop the ball joint from the control arm.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 19:29   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Well, after looking at the write-up on TCCA's forum, I can point out 2 flaws with the procedure. 1. the axle nut will be really hard to remove with such a small ratchet, you will need to loosen and remove it with the wheel still on with a big enough ratchet or an impact gun. 2. DO NOT USE THE 2 JAW TIE ROD PULLER TO PULL OFF THE BEARING. THIS WILL PUSH FORCE AGAINST THE INNER AND OUTER CV JOINTS AND COULD DAMAGE THEM. THE SPINDLE WILL MORE THAN LIKELY COCK TO ONE SIDE WHEN THE PULLER IS TIGHTENED. You're replacing the bearing anyways, just hammer on the hub and it will come out. You should be able to sneak out the bolts with extensions and universal joints with the axle pushed in (tap the end with the nut on the end of the threads with a soft faced shot filled hammer. It should push in enough by hand to get on the bolts. Otherwise, you'll still have to pop the ball joint from the control arm.
Thanks TBird!!! Nice to see your on top of these posts to offer suggestions and help!

Foggy
Old 10-02-2008, 06:05   #6 (permalink)

You can always have someone hold the brakes on to help remove the spindle nut if you have the tire off prior to loosening it.

You need to use the puller to get the axle out of the bearing, not the bearing out of the knuckle.

I removed the lower ball joint when I did mine, you might as well replace the lower ball joints while you are at it.
Canuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007