Ford Forums banner

99 Taurus heater core

4K views 10 replies 3 participants last post by  tbird100636 
#1 ·
I noticed the heat output from my heating system is not really hot. On a cold day if I run the fan at maximum, the heater output changes from warm to cool. At slower fan speeds the output remains warm.

Obviously the heater core seems plugged although I have not put an infared thermometer on it. Question--- has anyone changed a heater core on a 99 Taurus? For those who may have done so, how big a job did you find the task? Wifey had an old Lincoln and the dash board had to get removed to get at the heater core.

Anyway, before I get that far into this project, I am going to first try flushing the core with something----- draino maybe???

All comments and suggestions welcomed--

#2 ·
foggysail said:
I noticed the heat output from my heating system is not really hot. On a cold day if I run the fan at maximum, the heater output changes from warm to cool. At slower fan speeds the output remains warm.

Obviously the heater core seems plugged although I have not put an infared thermometer on it. Question--- has anyone changed a heater core on a 99 Taurus? For those who may have done so, how big a job did you find the task? Wifey had an old Lincoln and the dash board had to get removed to get at the heater core.

Anyway, before I get that far into this project, I am going to first try flushing the core with something----- draino maybe???

All comments and suggestions welcomed--
You have to pull the dash, but not the box. After removing the dash, you remove the temp. blend door actuator, remove the spring, below the cover is the secondary door lever. Depress the locking ramp in the center of it and pull the lever off. Remove the metal link from the primary door lever, then remove the heater core access cover. Rotate the primary lever upward so the heater core clears. Don't forget the heater hoses!!! Just push on the tubes so it comes out.

#3 ·
WOW, that seems like a lot of work! No, I don't mean your instructions entail a lot of work, it is removing the dash that appears to be be big job.

Is there any hope of just trying to flush the old core out?

How many hours does it take a skilled mechanic like yourself to change one out...........including the dash?

#4 ·
foggysail said:
WOW, that seems like a lot of work! No, I don't mean your instructions entail a lot of work, it is removing the dash that appears to be be big job.

Is there any hope of just trying to flush the old core out?

How many hours does it take a skilled mechanic like yourself to change one out...........including the dash?
Takes 3-4 Hours total. All depends on if you have a full console or not. If you do, you have to take that out first. Aftermarket remote start or alarm wiring can get in the way too.

#6 ·
foggysail said:
My first try is going to be with flushing. I find it incomprehensible automakers make replacing a maintenance item so difficult.
Well a heater core is not considered a maintenance item.

#8 ·
The other day I tried teh A/C which did not work. Needs freon I think. But what I am getting at is after playing with the controls to get cold air, I could not get HOT air afterwards.

Tried cycling the temperature control back and forth, finally got hot air. The message-------- the problem might be the vent door is not opening all the way or at all allowing air to pass over the heater core. Later I will measure the control and clean it with some electronic cleaner.

I did measure the water temperature in the heater lines. I did not see much temperature drop between the input line and the return line. I do not believe my heater core is bad. For temperature measurements I used an infrared temperature device.

Foggy

#11 ·
foggysail said:
Tbird--

Is it the door or the control? Heck, it really doesn't matter, I need to fix it what ever it is.

How difficult is the door to get to?

Thanks-

Foggy
Pull the ICP (Radio/A/C Contorls) out and you will see a square box on the A/C Box. This is the temp. blend door motor/actuator. Very common failure.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.