99 taurus heater prob - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-24-2006, 20:28   #1 (permalink)

eek 99 taurus heater prob

We recently bought a 99 Taurus and the heater isn't working at all.The previous owner told us that it needed some sort of motor thats located on the passenger side near the foot area? We got the part from the Ford dealership but its still blowing out only cold air.Its like we have the a/c on and its friggin cold.Also the dealership said they couldn't refund the motor part,which is quite stupid..so thats $67 gone down the drain.Any idea what the problem is,or how to fix it...its getting too cold and I'm getting frostbite in places I didn't were possible Thank,T
charmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2006, 06:33   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 99 taurus heater prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmin
We recently bought a 99 Taurus and the heater isn't working at all.The previous owner told us that it needed some sort of motor thats located on the passenger side near the foot area? We got the part from the Ford dealership but its still blowing out only cold air.Its like we have the a/c on and its friggin cold.Also the dealership said they couldn't refund the motor part,which is quite stupid..so thats $67 gone down the drain.Any idea what the problem is,or how to fix it...its getting too cold and I'm getting frostbite in places I didn't were possible Thank,T
Yeah, it is stupid, but look at it from the dealer's standpoint. The part has been installed. There are marks around the mounting screw holes and on the electrical terminals. Lets say you return it and the part sits on the dealer's shelf for a year. The dealer would have to eventually return the part at a loss. Then, when the parts depot gets it back and looks at it they see the marks on the part and they consider the part used and charge back the price of the part to the dealer. Again this is kind of stupid but this is how my parts manager at my Dodge Dealer explained it to me a while back. As for you problem, they probably ment the blend door motor behind the dash, which is accessible by removing the ICP. (The radio and climate controls.)
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:50   #3 (permalink)

Re: 99 taurus heater prob

Well don't get your panties in a bunch over a my opinion of dealers that won't take back their parts.Look at it from a customers standpoint....I go into purchase the part I figure I need,I speak with the cupcake thats supposed to know about the parts but he just looks at me as if I've shot his mother and nods his head.Never does he offer his opinion like a real parts man would,hell I could more out of someone from Auto Zone.He goes into the back and gets the part and reminds me that its not refundable/exchangeable.From my standpoint,he could've suggested that he would check it to make sure,and from my standpoint I just lost money that he could've help saveHe was more interestes in money than helping me to fix my car-yeah hes a cornpoke and its stupid.Thats not a real mechanic,parts man,or whatever you want to call him.

Secondly the part doesn't get marks or damages just by plugging it in.Its a simple white box that you simply plug in without any force.

Third,the previous owner showed us what we needed to buy to fix the heat,and its exactly what we bought that did not work.So we went by word of mouth by someone we knew and figured he knew about cars.
Old 10-25-2006, 09:40   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

roll Re: 99 taurus heater prob

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmin
Well don't get your panties in a bunch over a my opinion of dealers that won't take back their parts.Look at it from a customers standpoint....I go into purchase the part I figure I need,I speak with the cupcake thats supposed to know about the parts but he just looks at me as if I've shot his mother and nods his head.Never does he offer his opinion like a real parts man would,hell I could more out of someone from Auto Zone.He goes into the back and gets the part and reminds me that its not refundable/exchangeable.From my standpoint,he could've suggested that he would check it to make sure,and from my standpoint I just lost money that he could've help saveHe was more interestes in money than helping me to fix my car-yeah hes a cornpoke and its stupid.Thats not a real mechanic,parts man,or whatever you want to call him.

Secondly the part doesn't get marks or damages just by plugging it in.Its a simple white box that you simply plug in without any force.

Third,the previous owner showed us what we needed to buy to fix the heat,and its exactly what we bought that did not work.So we went by word of mouth by someone we knew and figured he knew about cars.
I'm not getting p----- about your opinion, I'm just giving you insight of the other side of the counter. I argued with my parts manager about the marks made on the terminals of an electrical part, which in my opinion, are miniscule and already exist, but the parts depots for dealers are trying to save money. This is especially true on computers, such as PCM's, GEM's, ABS modules, etc. with some being VIN or security system sensitive. Once you plug them in, you can't return it. If you were to remove a PCM on a factory anti-theft system car and put it in one without it you could cause the car not to start, then when you put the original back in surprise!!! The car still doesn't start. Once you plug it in and or program it, that's it. Unfortunately, you just got a parts guy that just cares about his bonus in his paycheck at the end of the month. My parts guys at least ask why the customer needs the particular part.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 09:51   #5 (permalink)

Eh I called the dealership just to make sure and I wanted to know their side...the guy I spoke with was a douche,he gave me a attitude when all I did was ask a simple question.Some dealerships are quite nice and understanding.This guy asked me how I would feel if he sold me a used part and it was supposed to be new..so my response was that if he were honest he would tell me from the start that the part was used and then it would be on me.He was saying how someone brought back a part and they resold it and the person thought it was new so he brought it back and accused them of selling used parts.Kinda funny
Old 10-25-2006, 15:59   #6 (permalink)

This might be a silly question but does the car have enough coolant in it?
Old 11-26-2006, 13:47   #7 (permalink)

Sounds like a plugged heater core to me!! Very common on the 99 Taurus. Check where it goes into the firewall.. If 1 hose is hot and the other cold, with engine warm, and heater on, then the core is plugged with rust etc.

Just pull off both ends,pull out the bypass hose and plug both outlets, now flush and backflush core until it runs clear and smooth.

I have had to do this twice on my 99'
zulufan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2006, 17:28   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

zulufan1, nice info for the next person who uses the search button,(very few do), but charming charmin with the attitude is long gone.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 09:05   #9 (permalink)

There is/was nothing charming with charmin! The contributor picked an appropriate user name.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 16:26   #10 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail
There is/was nothing charming with charmin! The contributor picked an appropriate user name.
That's for sure, I tend to be quite sarcastic!
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007