99 Taurus LX Electrical Problems Killing Me! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2010, 11:02   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus LX Electrical Problems Killing Me!

My Mechanic can't fix 99 Taurus LX keeps draining battery with the ignition off, what do I do?

He kept it for 3 weeks and says he ran all kinda load test and other test...and he can hear something clicking but can't find it! This car has already killed 1 battery and is working on a NEW ONE...the wipers sometimes come on every so often...especially when the battery was being jumped off...or sometimes as u go down the road!
The only way...I can drive and crank it now without killing the battery is remove the #1 40 Fuse under the hood each time I cut it off!!!
Please HELP...I'm going on 10 months LAID OFF...this thing is killing me...with only 70K on it!

My mechanic advised against the local Ford Dealership...cause my they don't fix "99 or older"???
He thinks I'm an imbecile...he and I are done son.!!!
I'm not very mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination....I need help...I want to fix it and SALE IT FAST.....MONEY PIT!

HELP!!!!
Reggie T is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2010, 18:03   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: 99 Taurus LX Electrical Problems Killing Me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reggie T View Post
My Mechanic can't fix 99 Taurus LX keeps draining battery with the ignition off, what do I do?

He kept it for 3 weeks and says he ran all kinda load test and other test...and he can hear something clicking but can't find it! This car has already killed 1 battery and is working on a NEW ONE...the wipers sometimes come on every so often...especially when the battery was being jumped off...or sometimes as u go down the road!
The only way...I can drive and crank it now without killing the battery is remove the #1 40 Fuse under the hood each time I cut it off!!!
Please HELP...I'm going on 10 months LAID OFF...this thing is killing me...with only 70K on it!

My mechanic advised against the local Ford Dealership...cause my they don't fix "99 or older"???
He thinks I'm an imbecile...he and I are done son.!!!
I'm not very mechanically inclined by any stretch of the imagination....I need help...I want to fix it and SALE IT FAST.....MONEY PIT!

HELP!!!!
Definetely don't bring it back to that guy. The fuse you are pulling in the underhood fuse block feeds the under dash one. You need to do an ignition off draw test (IOD). It isn't that hard, but you need a digital multimeter that reads Amps., up to 10A. Before you start, open the LF door so you have access to the fuse panel. Take a screwdriver and click the LF door latch into the fully latched position (2 clicks) You loosen the negative battery cable, clip one lead to the negative cable. Slowly remove the negative cable while clipping the other multimeter lead to the negative battery post. Wait about 10-30 minutes.

The reading should not be more than 35 milliamps (0.035A). If it stays over that after 30 minutes start gradually pulling fuses out under the dash until the IOD drops to 0.035A. Whatever fuse drops the IOD the most is the cause of the draw. If you feel comfortable doing this test, give it a try and report back which fuse is the culprit and we'll see what that fuse feeds.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007