99 Taurus no start - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2009, 17:16   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus no start

Hello all my girlfriends 99 3.0 taurus won't start. It has about 1/3 tank of gas. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and fuel will come out of the fuel rail when the valve is pressed. I swapped out the coil and still no start. I pulled one of the plugs out and cranked it over and its getting a good blue spark. When i'm cranking it over its slow and sluggish til I press in the gas pedal and it turns over good but still no running. But it sounds like its trying to fire up when you are pumping the hell out of the gas pedal. I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor and no go. I also shot some starting fluid in it and it still wouldn't start up but when the pedal was on the floor it puffed a fire ball out of the intake. There are no check engine codes I hooked up my reader and there is zero. I haven't checked the fuel pressure as not one parts store around here has one gauge that will fit it. I'm going to try and unhook the battery for alittle bit and try again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have to save some cash because my girlfriend just got let go at work last week. Thanks in advance!
magneto259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-10-2009, 20:32   #2 (permalink)

Re: 99 Taurus no start

Quote:
Originally Posted by magneto259 View Post
Hello all my girlfriends 99 3.0 taurus won't start. It has about 1/3 tank of gas. I can hear the fuel pump kick on and fuel will come out of the fuel rail when the valve is pressed. I swapped out the coil and still no start. I pulled one of the plugs out and cranked it over and its getting a good blue spark. When i'm cranking it over its slow and sluggish til I press in the gas pedal and it turns over good but still no running. But it sounds like its trying to fire up when you are pumping the hell out of the gas pedal. I just replaced the crankshaft position sensor and no go. I also shot some starting fluid in it and it still wouldn't start up but when the pedal was on the floor it puffed a fire ball out of the intake. There are no check engine codes I hooked up my reader and there is zero. I haven't checked the fuel pressure as not one parts store around here has one gauge that will fit it. I'm going to try and unhook the battery for alittle bit and try again. Any help would be greatly appreciated as we have to save some cash because my girlfriend just got let go at work last week. Thanks in advance!

How abou the Fuel Filter?...you said there is fuel coming to the Rail??
Old 03-11-2009, 03:03   #3 (permalink)

Yes there is fuel coming out of the fuel rail. Its just a little spurt of fuel that comes out when the valve is pressed after the ignition has been on.
Old 03-11-2009, 04:49   #4 (permalink)
Always the student

Have you checked base timing to be sure in hasn't jumped?
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 12:53   #5 (permalink)

No I haven't yet. Im not sure how to do it. I have a timing light but doesn't engine need to be running for it to work correctly? Or is there another way to check the timing? Thanks for the speedy replys.
Old 03-11-2009, 14:42   #6 (permalink)
Always the student

Pull the timing cover and see if the timing marks are still lined up.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2009, 15:03   #7 (permalink)

Damn i was hoping there was a easier way....lol! Sounds like thats what I got to do. Hopefully i'll get to it this weekend. Thanks for the reply!
Old 03-12-2009, 18:03   #8 (permalink)

I had a Cougar that had similar problems. I had to pay somebody to fix it, I could not figure out what was wrong.

Problem was a collapsed catalytic converter
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:10   #9 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: 99 Taurus no start

You need to hook a fuel pressure tester to the service port, not just depress it. Needs about 35-45 psi.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 12:38   #10 (permalink)

checking everything you mentioned.im partial to the idle air control valve.
thundercougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007