99 Taurus Proportioning valve - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2009, 15:08   #1 (permalink)

99 Taurus Proportioning valve

I am trying to help a lady out with her Taurus.
Brake peddle goes to the floor. a quick double pump will get some braking power, but nothing like it should be.
I replaced the master cylinder, and started bleeding - started on the left rear, and between the vacuum pump and pressing the peddle, I got loads of air and fluid through. I moved to the right rear, but can only get a drip even with the bleeder out or the hose disconnected from the caliper.
Moved back to the left and cracked the right rear line from the proportioning valve block. Still only a drip no matter how hard or fast I press the peddle. I tried with the suspension hanging and compressed.

I havent found any diagram how the valve works - no manual.

I also haven't found any source to buy a new one - short of trying the dealer.

Any suggestions on getting the valve to work, and where to buy one?

I wanted to get the brakes bled and possibly add new pads on the front.

thanks for any hints

Steve
JeepSteve92XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-23-2009, 05:53   #2 (permalink)
canuck

Re: 99 Taurus Proportioning valve

I had something similar (link below). I fiddled around with my '99 a bit only to take it in anyway as I didn't have the time to do all the work since I needed the car on the road in a couple days. The shop replaced the master cylinder, both rear wheel cylinders in the drums as I found that one had seized up and the pedal travel was long and took forever to slow the vehicle. As for the valve, I'm not sure where to get one, but you can try Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market or local parts stores such as NAPA or CarQuest, which may carry the part you're after.

'99 taurus - Brake problem; long pedal travel and slow to stop
'99 Taurus 3.0L 2V Vulcan 145hp; 154,300m - Traded
Amsoil in all vehicles!
360ci is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007