'99 Wagon Antenna Problems...... - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2010, 20:13   #1 (permalink)

'99 Wagon Antenna Problems......

Hi folks.

The power antenna on my '99 SE wagon finally died - in the up position. Unfortunately being up, it makes it hard to take the car to just about any car wash in the area.

I can hear the antenna motor "hum" when the radio is turned off & on. Is there a way to disconnect the motor & maybe make the mast a "manual" antenna - raising & lowering it by hand? I understand getting to the motor assembly in a wagon equipped with the third seat is a pain.

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave
twigfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-17-2010, 20:47   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: '99 Wagon Antenna Problems......

It should be pretty easy due to the fact that it's by the spare tire. Here's from the manual. You could just buy a manual antenna if you don't want the automatic.
1. Remove cover and spare tire.
2. Remove radio antenna nut and radio antenna stanchion from electric antenna. (1 and 2)
3. Remove one nut and one bolt retaining electric antenna inside luggage compartment. (3 and 4)
4. Disconnect wire harness connector and radio antenna lead in cable from electric antenna and remove electric antenna from vehicle.

Old 04-18-2010, 06:44   #3 (permalink)

Thanks Bert!

But my understanding is that the rear third seat needs to be removed to gain access. Is this correct? Luckily I've never had to use the spare but having to remove the third seat to get to it sounds like it would make it quite a project.

Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 08:37   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You wouldn't think they'd build something that had to have something removed if you have a flat tire. See what it looks like. My wife had a 94 with the 3rd seat and it didn't have to be removed to get the spare out.
Old 04-18-2010, 08:56   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
You wouldn't think they'd build something that had to have something removed if you have a flat tire. See what it looks like. My wife had a 94 with the 3rd seat and it didn't have to be removed to get the spare out.
You would think....

I'll check it out as soon as I get everything out of the back that my wife has accumulated over the past year. Seems to have become another place to store stuff that we don't have room in the house for.

Thanks again.

Dave
Old 04-18-2010, 18:12   #6 (permalink)

If you can hear the motor running, it's usually just a stripped cable. You can buy a new cable for $20 from antennamastsRus.com (Yeah, it's a real website). I think they have pics posted on how to do the repair.
Old 04-21-2010, 09:31   #7 (permalink)

NG! I unscrewed the slotted antenna nut, removed the plastic spacer that covers the hole and could not remove the mast. I followed the instructions on antennamastsRus.com including spraying penetrating oil into the base of the mast but no go. The mast wouldn't budge. Plus the visible base of the antenna doesn't look like the diagram on their website - could I have a different part?

Also, I removed the spare tire to see what kind of job it was to remove the motor. Unfortunately, it's mounted behind a metal panel the holds the spare & other electronics with VERY little clearance below. Removing it with the antenna stuck in the up position would be impossible without cutting off the old mast.

I think at this point I should just live with it & resign myself to washing the car myself or going to "brushless" car washes. Reception is fine & not a problem. It would still be nice to be able to disconnect the motor so it's not "running" when turning the radio on & off.

Any more suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Dave
Old 04-21-2010, 11:31   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

It's behind a panel but if you remove the bolt, it should be able to be manuevered out even with the mast up. Try taking the nut loose and see what it does.
Old 04-22-2010, 16:50   #9 (permalink)

If I remember correctly, the new cable comes with a whole new mast. The cable is geared to the motor gears. You won't be able to move it. Last time I did one, I just cut the old mast, took out the motor assembly, opened it and installed the new cable and mast. Took about 30mins once it was out of the car.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007