Ford Forums banner

AAAHHhhhh, LOOK, P0442>>> GONE TO HEAVEN!!!

10K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  360ci 
#1 ·
Awhile back I explained how I THOUGHT I fixed the obnoxious P0442 problme in my 99 Taurus SE plain Jane. WELL I DID NOT! BUT HERE IS AN UPDATE on what I have done and NOW THINK I have it behind me.

First for those who did not read the earlier post, I was trying to find what was leaking causing a P0442. I painted the fuel input pipe and pur claps on hoses, dropped the plastic pan containing the canister along with the canister vent solenoid. The solenoid had a rust crust almost 1/8" thick; I thought I had found the problem. I cleaned the rust off it, painted it reinstalled everything and yes, the fault disappeared. I KNEW I HAD THE PROBLEM UNDER CONTROL!

I DID NOT!!! And yes, I spent the $20 for a new gas cap to no avail. Next I pulled the solenoid off again. I blew into it with the solenoid powered. I thought it was leaking so I cleaned it with alcohol along with an air hose. Results..........trouble light reappeared.

Pulled the canister off and tested it for leaks.........no leaks.

Removed the EVAP canister purge valve; pulled it apart and cleaned the carbon junk out. Result.............trouible light reappeared.

I was getting desperate at this point but a few nights ago I removed the gas cap and just took time to carefully look at how the thing mounts. The throat area where the cap mounts is not made for steel, it is made from thin plastic of some sort. Low and behold!!! THERE WAS A SERIES OF HAIRLINE CRACKS AROUND THE PLASTIC JUST WHERE THE CAP MOUNTS. I sealed the cracks as best I could using an electrical varnish. But I also noticed the neck area just under where the cap mounts was thorougly rotted.

I ordered a new fill pipe for $100 or so even though there were some less expensive used ones on Ebay. Sure the ones on Ebay might have been rust free after sombo0dy painted them but what condition might the plastice that I just described be?? Just was not worth the chance.

I am waiting for the part to arrive at which time I will install it. But in the mean time, I have put well over 150 miles on the car making sure the fuel level is anywhere between 1/4 tank and just below 3/4 tank. No fault light nor is there any prefault condition present when I read the car's computer with my laptop.

I think the pipe is/was my problem. If this$%^& P0442 reoccurs after I put the new pipe on it will mean I again was presumptuous in thinking I have it solved. I hope it is solved, I have no desire to pull the fuel tank.

More later but I feel confident I got this one. For those who have or run into the P0442, check the plasitic liner that your gas cap mounts to for hairline cracks.

Foggy

See less See more
#3 ·
I am finding that out Bert! I felt it important to share with others what I found so if they encounter the same problem it might make it easier for them to resolve it. The P0442 faults so far is the hardest I have ran into for fixing.

The only easy way to fix something like a P0442 is to have the right test equipment. A good scan software, one taht allows commanding various functions in to happen is a high priority but that is beyond what most of us can afford for so called "shade tree" work

Foggy

#6 ·
I just scanned this code out today. I'm not happy about it as I know that even small evap leaks can be a PITA. I never did think of checking the fill pipe around the cap though!! I'm on it tomorrow.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.