AC High Pressure service port - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:56   #1 (permalink)

confused AC High Pressure service port

Hey guys,

I've got a '97 Taurus SHO. The other day I went under the hood to check fluids and while checking the transmission fluid, I noticed that the freon was coming out of the high side pressure port.

I've gotten a new valve for the port, and taken the old one off. I'm going to put the new one on, then have it vacuumed out.

After I have the system evacuated how do I go about charging it back up again in regards to oil/refrigerant? I'm sure there's still some oil on stuff, will the evac take care of that?

I know the capacity of the refridgerant is 34 oz., but does that include the oil, or is that straight R134a? I'm a little lost in all of this.

If someone could direct me to a procedure to putting a new charge in, just please let me know.

Thanks!

1997 Ford Taurus SHO
Toreador Red with Saddle Tan Leather
joedogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2010, 13:58   #2 (permalink)

Re: AC High Pressure service port

" I'm a little lost in all of this ". No offence but yes you are. Who ever you get to evacuate this let them charge it. Unless you have a C.F.C licence you are braking the law and subject to a $10,000.00 fine. " I know the capacity of the refrigerant is 34 oz., but does that include the oil, or is that straight 134A ? " That tells me you have no idea
of how the system works. Again no offence. Send it out. You could cause serious damage to your system If you don't know what you are doing. Your A.C. and the engine cooling system are controled by the engine computer. Don't mess with it if you don't know what your doing. Just my input. Again No offence. Good luck
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 11:15   #3 (permalink)

Ummh, not to be rude, but you do not require any sort of license to handle R-134a. Wisconsin does require licensing to even purchase any refrigerant. Only the chlorinated ones, such as R-12 and R-22 require an EPA license.
That said, if the system is opened, it should be evacuated before re-charge, and you likely cannot do that. There is a relief valve on the high side of the compressor that is spring-loaded, and if that valve let the refrigerant out, you have a deeper problem. If it is the access port, it should have had a red(?) plastic cap to protect it from dirt, and then a schrader valve under that. The schrader is just like the valve in a tire stem. They should not leak under normal conditions.
The capacity is stated in oz, and that is the refrigerant only. The oil capacity is factory determined, and not usually stated on the underhood tag. If significant oil is lost, for whatever reason, such as changing the compressor or the accumulator, every remaining component in the system, including compressor, should be flushed as clean as possible and a full oil replacement made. Other than doing that, you are just guessing. AND so would any mechanic who added lube willy-nilly. You likely can get away with adding one oz if you think your loss is minimal, but not much more than that.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 12:24   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

It has to be recovered. It's illegal to vent the system into the atmosphere. No license needed to buy or install.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 14:47   #5 (permalink)

" No licence needed to buy and install ". Not yet but it will be that way very soon.
We set the rules up here for you guys down there. Our rules state that if a home owner
attempts to recharge or repair ANY PART of the sealed refrigeration system of their own
house A.C. they are subject to a $10,000.00 - $25,000.00 fine. I think you will have those laws in the next 2 years according to my last school up date. About time.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 17:06   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Time to stock up
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007