Acceleration problem and poor gas mileage - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2002, 11:45   #1 (permalink)
mears

Question Acceleration problem and poor gas mileage

93 Taurus, 3.0L V6 (not SHO), 75,000 miles
Up until a couple of months ago, I was getting around 26-27 mpg. Then an intermittent problem developed. The car would act like it would lose power or was running out of gas for a brief moment while accelerating. Sometime it would occur only once and other times it will do it several times in a row. Gas mileage dropped to around 17 mpg and would generally run rough while accelerating (especially between 35-45 mph).
I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, distributor cap, rotor and fuel filter. Problem persisted. Checked the air filter and it was filthy (I know, my fault). Replaced air filter and the gas mileage has improved to about 21 mpg, but still having the intermittent power/gas problem. However, this problem seems to be occurring more frequently and more pronounced, especially on cold days.
I took the car to a mechanic to scan the computer, but no codes were registered (the “Check Engine” light never came on). He said to go ahead and replace the throttle position sensor, which I did, but I’m still having problems. I will next clean the mass airflow sensor. He also mentioned that the coolant temperature sensor may be going bad. Before I start throwing lots of money at this problem, do anyone have any recommendations? Replace the O2 sensors? I use a fuel injector cleaner fairly often so I doubt it is a clogged injector, but who knows?
If possible, respond to my email as well mears@vims.edu
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2002, 12:09   #2 (permalink)

I always replace the O2 sensor when ever I replace plugs, seems to have worked for me so far, people seem to ignor the fact that it needs to replaced on somewhat of a regular basis, have replace them when there is no engine check light and have made gains in mileage. LOL
94460 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2002, 08:08   #3 (permalink)
97TaurusShoGuy

Have you had any type of fuel injector cleaner because they could be getting gunked up. Especially since you said that the air filter was dirty could have made the computer think something might have been clogged changing the air/fuel ratio. That might help.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:48   #4 (permalink)
tleser

Did you ever get this problem taken care of? Don't ever go to a mechanic who just recommends the REPLACMENT of a part without testing first. If the proper troubleshooting isn't done to verify a specific part NEEDS replacement you don't have to replace it. I had a similar problem like you but it was because I was using Bosch platinums and a lot of Fords have problems with Bosch while some people get away with it. I also was starting to develop thsi problem again later and I went and removed all my sensor connectors and plugged them back in, and found that one of them was loose, along with an EGR hose. Specifically it was the connector for the RFI capacitor that's located on my coil pack. After reconnecting those the car has run like new since than! (knock on wood)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007