Adjusting e-brake on rear calipers - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-01-2007, 06:04   #1 (permalink)

Adjusting e-brake on rear calipers

'97 Taurus GL 3.0L Vulcan 140K miles

Replaced all brake hardware in rear last summer: pads, rotors, calipers, cables. Had to recently replace all the rear lines and proportioning valve. I'm darn sure everything is properly bled.

My e-brake barely pulls the caliper on the rear passenger side, and not at all on the drivers rear. I noticed the driver side cable is hardly being pulled.

Do I need to adjust the pistons at the calipers? I recall needing to spin to re-seat them when putting the new pads and rotors on. I also noticed both rear cables don't pull evenly when connected to the main e-brake cable that runs to the cab.

I guess I don't fully understand how the e-brake cable presses the piston to the rotor . Isn't it supposed to be a self-adjusting system?
dac122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-01-2007, 06:08   #2 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Re: Adjusting e-brake on rear calipers

Unhook the cables from the calipers and work to parking brake. They should move freely. I suspect cables.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 06:14   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. I will try that.

Can anyone tell me how the cable, connected to the caliper actually pulls the piston to the rotor. Does it self adjust or not?
Old 06-01-2007, 15:31   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

I know on my 97 Chevy Lumnia the rear disk brakes are adjusted when you press the emergency brake peddle, Hold the emergency brake release out and pump the emergency brake 20 or 30 times and see if that helps.

The cable/caliper works on a ratchet like action. Im curious, how did you compress the caliper piston back in?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2007, 16:34   #5 (permalink)

Thanks. I'll give that a try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko
Im curious, how did you compress the caliper piston back in?
The first time I replaced the pads I let out a little brake fluid and then bled the brakes.

This last time I had to replace the calipers because the cables were froze to them. The new calipers were already compressed out of the box.

I'm not sure how one really does it without some kind of specialized too. I think Harbour Freight carries a $20 tool to do this. If you search the archives you'll find a link to the tool.
Old 06-02-2007, 22:45   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Every time you use the brakes it adjust itself by extending the piston until the proper pressure is applied.

The E brake has nothing to do with it on a caliper system. Other than it will do the same thing that normal brake usage will do.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 01:24   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
The E brake has nothing to do with it on a caliper system. Other than it will do the same thing that normal brake usage will do
I wasn't sure about the Taurus but on the Chevy Lumina, yeah, the parking brake is how a person would do it.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 04:55   #8 (permalink)

I'm a little confused but I think you're all saying the rear disc calipers do not self adjust. The only thing the e-brake lever does on the caliper is push the piston onto the disc. Any real adjustment, if you can call it that, is the caliper sliding itself over center of the disc just like on front disc designs.

Do I have this correct, or am I just being thick-headed?
Old 06-06-2007, 07:41   #9 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

The rear calipers are like the front with respect to being self adjusting. You do not need to use the ebrake to adjust them. This is how you adjust drum rear brakes.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2007, 07:46   #10 (permalink)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007