Air Vent, Floor Air quit working - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-01-2009, 07:29   #1 (permalink)
rickboo

Question Air Vent, Floor Air quit working

Hey all, this is my first post. The air vent and the floor air quit working in my 1997 mecury sable. It was working fine one day and the next it wasnt. I was wondering if anyone would would have any ideas what the problem could be before i pull the control panel out of the dash. It has the stereo and the heater control together in the panel. The defrost still works good and there is plenty of heat. I can live without them as long as i have the defrost but it would be nice to get the vent fixed especially for the summer because the car is black and the AC is disconected. Thank you kindly for any help offered
rickboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2009, 07:48   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Air Vent, Floor Air quit working

It sounds like you have a vacuum leak. Start by checking the vacuum line under the hood. With the engine running, listen under the dash to see if you hear any hissing sound to see if you have a leak there.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:50   #3 (permalink)
rickboo

Hi rtg, I will check that out today and get back to you.
Old 10-01-2009, 11:51   #4 (permalink)
rickboo

I listened under the dash with the engine running and i checked under the hood and i dont hear any air leaks. Do you know by chance which vacuum line it would be under the hood? Do you have any other thoughts?
Old 10-01-2009, 12:13   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Under the hood would be too noisey to hear. If you look at the vacuum lines from the engine, they go to a small check valve, into the firewall and a tee to a vacuum tank. See if they are all connected. I don't remember where on the engine or I could tell you where to look.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:13   #6 (permalink)
rickboo

Hi rtg, I got it figured out. Would the check valve by any chance be plastic? If so then the check valve is at the top of the firewall. There was a very small plastic line with a pinhole opening and i noticed that the line was barely hanging to the rubber fitting. Fortunately there was eough line that i could push the broken piece out of the fitting and reattach the line. I never would have thought that such a small line could cause that kind of problem where nothing but the defrost works. Once i fixed the line i tried the vents and floor vents and they are blowing like crazy. All is good now. you would think they would have used rubber lines instead of plastic but i guess the plastic is for areason. Thank you very much for steering me in the right direction. I appreciate the help.
Old 10-02-2009, 12:30   #7 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

You're welcome. Glad you got it fixed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007