Airbag Light not on + 5 Beeps - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2008, 08:48   #1 (permalink)

confused Airbag Light not on + 5 Beeps

Ok, I've done some research and I think I know the problem, but I'm trying to find solutions that don't involve taking this car to a dealer....

I have a '97 Taurus SHO. I just got the car and found out it was in an accident 3 years ago but the airbags did not deploy.

When I turn the car on, the airbag light does not flash, blink, come on, or anything, and 30-seconds after the car is on, I get a sequence of 5 beeps which repeats 5 times.

I pulled the dash off and replaced the SRS lamp and that didn't work. I'm wondering if it would be worth it to try and have the Airbag Module "reset" by one of those $50 reset places that are online. Would that be a high probabilty of fixing the issue, or would it not be worth trying to fix this in a car that's only worth $3k?

Any other ideas? I believe that airbags are vital to the saftey of a car so driving without them is simply not an option.
Help?!
tunerworld is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-17-2008, 08:46   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Airbag Light not on + 5 Beeps

Don't really know much about them. But here is the info from the manual. The beeps indicate the bulb or bulb circuit is not working and this must be addressed before any other diagnostics can be done.

Air Bag System Functions
The air bag diagnostic monitor (14B056) illuminates the AIR BAG indicator for approximately six seconds when the ignition switch is turned to RUN and then turns the AIR BAG indicator off. This indicates that the AIR BAG indicator is operational. If the AIR BAG indicator does not illuminate at all, stays on continuously or flashes at any time, then a fault has been detected by the air bag diagnostic monitor.
Diagnostic trouble codes, if present, will begin flashing within 30 seconds after the ignition switch has been turned to RUN. This is the amount of time it takes the air bag diagnostic monitor to perform all tests and verify system faults, if present.
Diagnostic trouble codes are displayed as a series of flashes and pauses of the AIR BAG indicator. Diagnostic trouble codes are two-digit numbers.

Example: A DTC 32 is displayed as follows:
flash flash flash - (two second pause) -
flash flash - (five second pause)...
flash flash flash - (two second pause) -
flash flash - (five second pause)...
Diagnostic trouble codes are prioritized numerically so that if two or more faults occur at the same time, the diagnostic trouble code with the highest priority will be displayed.
After the DTC is displayed five times, the air bag indicator will illuminate continuously until the ignition switch is cycled.
The air bag diagnostic monitor incorporates non-volatile random access memory (NVRAM) to store diagnostic trouble codes and retain them indefinitely. The air bag diagnostic monitor will always flash the highest priority diagnostic trouble code stored in NVRAM. Diagnostic trouble codes may be cleared from the air bag diagnostic monitor after the fault conditions are serviced (Refer to Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs ).
The air bag diagnostic monitor distinguishes between hard and intermittent (or repaired) fault conditions.
Each diagnostic trouble code number 12 - 45 represents a hard fault (a fault that is still present). Hard diagnostic trouble codes are higher priority than intermittent diagnostic trouble codes and may not be cleared from NVRAM.

Each of these hard diagnostic trouble codes has an equivalent diagnostic trouble code which is the sum of the diagnostic trouble code number plus 40. This equivalent diagnostic trouble code will indicate that an intermittent condition exists or that a hard condition has been repaired.
Only the intermittent (repaired) diagnostic trouble codes, numbers 52 - 85, may be cleared from the air bag diagnostic monitor. (Refer to Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs .) Example: A Diagnostic Trouble Code 32 indicates that high resistance in the driver side air bag circuit has been, and still is, present. A DTC 72 (32 + 40) indicates that high resistance in the driver side air bag circuit existed at one time, but no longer exists due to an intermittent condition or a repair made to the circuit.
If a system fault exists and the air bag warning indicator is not functioning, an audible tone will be heard indicating a need for service. The tone is a series of five sets of five beeps. This does not indicate a diagnostic trouble code 55 or any other diagnostic trouble code. The air bag warning indicator must be serviced before diagnostic trouble codes can be determined.
WARNING: UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES SUBSTITUTE ANOTHER FUSE VALUE FOR THE 10A FUSE. ANY FUSE OTHER THAN 10A MAY CAUSE DISARMING FAULT AND MAY RESULT IN DANGER TO THE OCCUPANTS OF THE VEHICLE. DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPLACE THE 10A BATTERY FUSE UNTIL THE AIR BAG SYSTEM FIRST HAS BEEN DEACTIVATED (SEE DEACTIVATION PROCEDURE FOR DETAILS).

If a fault exists that makes unwanted air bag deployment possible, the air bag diagnostic monitor will attempt to remove deployment power by turning on a solid state switch to open the 10A battery fuse.
If the 10A battery fuse has successfully been opened by the air bag diagnostic monitor, the air bag diagnostic monitor will not attempt to open it again until the proper fault has been serviced and cleared (Refer to Retrieve/Clear Continuous DTCs ). The air bag diagnostic monitor will store both the unwanted deployment diagnostic trouble code and the loss of deployment power diagnostic trouble code. The loss of deployment power diagnostic trouble code is the highest priority.
WARNING: THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY MUST BE DEPLETED BEFORE ANY AIR BAG COMPONENT SERVICE IS PERFORMED. TO DEPLETE THE BACK-UP POWER SUPPLY ENERGY, DISCONNECT THE NEGATIVE BATTERY CABLE AND WAIT ONE MINUTE TO AVOID ACCIDENTAL DEPLOYMENT AND POSSIBLE PERSONAL INJURY.

The air bag diagnostic monitor includes an internal back-up power supply. This feature provides sufficient back-up power to deploy the air bags in the event that the battery (10653) or battery cables are damaged in a collision before the crash sensors are activated. The back-up power supply will deplete its stored energy approximately one minute after the negative battery cable is disconnected.
The air bag diagnostic monitor incorporates an internal safing sensor. Proper mounting of the air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket assembly is critical to the function and performance of the air bag system.
The air bag diagnostic monitor and bracket assembly is non-serviceable and must be replaced as a unit in the event of fault.

Are your cams welded?
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2008, 15:43   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post

Are your cams welded?
I have no idea if they are, I've been to v8sho.com and read about the problem but I don't know if it's worth it. The car has 106k miles and there's no evidence of ticking or any other problems. I got the car for free and have already put $800 into it, I don't want to do much more, only going to keep it for a couple of years. If it fails, then I'm not out much.
Old 06-17-2008, 15:44   #4 (permalink)

One other thing too, I don't know if it's common to SHO's but I find that the power seems to be lacking on take-off until it hit 4k rpms, then it surges. Is that how SHO's are?
Old 06-17-2008, 23:41   #5 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tunerworld View Post
One other thing too, I don't know if it's common to SHO's but I find that the power seems to be lacking on take-off until it hit 4k rpms, then it surges. Is that how SHO's are?

Yes unless you get away from the factory tuning.
Old 06-18-2008, 14:15   #6 (permalink)

Cool, well then, that helps. Perhaps one other question you may be able to help with?

I took the car in due to the 5 beeps and Ford said it was the Airbag module. They want $550 to replace it when it's a $279 part new. I think I know where it's at (I know it's center console below the instrument panel, but my Chilton's manual's pic doesn't match what I see under there. I found a brand new replacement part online that's called the "SDM Airbag module", is that the right part?

You don't happen to have a picture somewhere of what it looks like do you?
Old 06-19-2008, 00:26   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

I would pony up the bucks. You will have to go to them to clear the codes anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007