Ford Forums banner

Alternator issue or something else?

1K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  taurus guy 
#1 ·
Hi all, i have a 96 ford taurus GL, around 130,000 miles but various different parts, including i believe a new engine(got this car after my father died several years ago)

While on a 4 hour drive, about an hour into it as i passed 80 mph, the alternator\batt light lit up, began flashing intermititantly and then stopped......being wary i unplugged my car phone adapter and ran little electric as needed other than radio and such. I then noticed as i hit around 3-5,000 rpm, that is when it would go off, as i saw it on city street as i reved it hard at certain areas. No other noticable issues occur other than as im driving as night, the hedlights would flicker occasionally, nothing major but enough to get my attention and annoy me, anyone know the issue and possible route to go for solve this? Thankyou

#2 ·
Measure the alternator voltage when the lights flicker and/or when the alternator light is on. A plug-in cigarette lighter voltage meter, available at walmart, is ideal for this. You may see a drop in voltage when the problems occur. If so, your alternator is likely on the way out and could go at any given time.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.