alternator,regulator,rectifier, battery good but bad diode? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2009, 21:01   #1 (permalink)

alternator,regulator,rectifier, battery good but bad diode?

My boy gave me a 93 taurus that had several problems. I have installed new cap rotor wires and plugs. Gap was at least twice what it should be they were so old(could not believe it ran). Repaired egr, new pcv, fuel regulator, replaced fan, new relay box. The problem is when Oreillys runs the "in car" battery and alternator test it says that alternator is charging and battery is excellent. My boy put both of these in new and his buddy had battery backwards at first. They had a big surprise. I have not found any shorted wires yet. The Oreilly's test shows bad diode and when I take the alternator out it shows good regulator, alternator and rectifier. The Oreilly's guy was surprised when he tested it because he checked it with the in car tester just a half hour before. Repeated the in store test three times and shows good. Went home put the alternator back in and put the new relay box that controls the fan back in and went back up and the Oreilly's in car test still shows bad diode. He says still shows excellent alternator and battery showed 98 % and in excellent working order. Engine now runs really well but I need to find this diode and fix. Any ideas of what it is referring to and what other things could cause this. How can I track down the problem and where should I look?
sjgatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-26-2009, 14:44   #2 (permalink)

Re: alternator,regulator,rectifier, battery good but bad diode?

Diodes and rectifiers are one and the same. REversing the battery connections to an alternator can damage the rectifers (diodes). Unless you're skilled, have access to replacement diodes (rectifiers), I suggest replacing the alternator.

But before you get carried away, does your battery charge??
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 18:24   #3 (permalink)

Re: alternator,regulator,rectifier, battery good but bad diode?

oops sorry found and fixed. The alternator showed bad diode on Oreilly's in car test but showed good on in store test. Put used alternator in and it works. Thanks
sjgatley is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007