AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002 - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-15-2009, 18:38   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 43
AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Have another question.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SES... and I bought 2 types of AntiFreeze -

- Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

- Prestone 50/50 PreDiluted

Unfortunately Im unsure about each, since I was told that The Antifreeze already in my Taurus is red color, and I have to use a Antifreeze with the same red color to fill it up. I went to the local Autozone... and theres only 2 - 3 types of Antifreeze... all Green color.

Do I have to find Red Antifreeze or am I able to use Prestone antifreeze?
__________________
Support, Assist, Augment The National Guard

One Weekend A Month. Two Weeks A Year.

No Deployment Overseas

http://www.statedefenseforce.com[/center]
JeanNYGUARD is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 01-15-2009, 19:40   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeanNYGUARD View Post
Have another question.

I have a 2002 Ford Taurus SES... and I bought 2 types of AntiFreeze -

- Prestone Extended Life Antifreeze/Coolant

- Prestone 50/50 PreDiluted

Unfortunately Im unsure about each, since I was told that The Antifreeze already in my Taurus is red color, and I have to use a Antifreeze with the same red color to fill it up. I went to the local Autozone... and theres only 2 - 3 types of Antifreeze... all Green color.

Do I have to find Red Antifreeze or am I able to use Prestone antifreeze?




Hello and good day to you Jean:

First may I say Thank you for Serving are Country in the Guard, From one Vet to other..May God Bless you and Keep you.

Red??? Antifreeze is not red....Power Steering Fluid is RED...

May I ask a few Questions??

1. Are you sure you are checking the Antifreeze Reservoir??(this should be a large Plastic Tank, usually white/grayish in color)

2. Have you refereed to your OWNERS MANUAL???

If your Antifreeze is RED in the Reservoir it may be burnt/worn...or you may need a Radiator Flush...or.. something more serious...


Prestone Extended Life is very good Antifreeze...but you may have to dilute it alittle....where as the 50/50 is already to use.....Both are very good.


Please Advise further.
__________________
Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 20:44   #3 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,041
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

You can use the regular Prestone green in the yellow jug. You don't have the orange stuff unless someone has added it in the past.

You coolant tank will be located on the passenger side of the engine compartment and will have a black top.

Owners manual states

Motorcraft
Premium Engine
Coolant
(green-colored) or
Motorcraft
Premium Gold
Engine Coolant
(yellow-colored)
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 22:21   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator
 
tbird100636's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Massachusetts
Age: 32
Posts: 1,829
cool Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post


Hello and good day to you Jean:

First may I say Thank you for Serving are Country in the Guard, From one Vet to other..May God Bless you and Keep you.

Red??? Antifreeze is not red....Power Steering Fluid is RED...

May I ask a few Questions??

1. Are you sure you are checking the Antifreeze Reservoir??(this should be a large Plastic Tank, usually white/grayish in color)

2. Have you refereed to your OWNERS MANUAL???

If your Antifreeze is RED in the Reservoir it may be burnt/worn...or you may need a Radiator Flush...or.. something more serious...


Prestone Extended Life is very good Antifreeze...but you may have to dilute it alittle....where as the 50/50 is already to use.....Both are very good.


Please Advise further.
Six, there is a 5 year 100,000 mi. antifreeze that is a red or orange hue, many manufacturers are using it now (All Chryslers since 2002, few specific models before then, and GM). It was also known as GM Dex-Cool. Still ethylene glycol, just a different chemical make-up.
__________________
Master ASE Certified L1 Chrysler Technician- still a Ford fan at heart.
1964 Thunderbird Hardtop- Chantily Beige- 390 FE 4V V8-Uncle's Car
1966 Thunderbird Convertible- Red- 390 FE 4V V8- Uncle's other car- waiting for paint and body work!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 16:05   #5 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 703
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Use the cheap green stuff and flush it using distilled water every two years. Be sure to use distilled water when you cut the antifreeze too.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 22:08   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbird100636 View Post
Six, there is a 5 year 100,000 mi. antifreeze that is a red or orange hue, many manufacturers are using it now (All Chryslers since 2002, few specific models before then, and GM). It was also known as GM Dex-Cool. Still ethylene glycol, just a different chemical make-up.


Now this I did not know...Thank you "T" One question tho...On my 2000 SES with 130K...would you recommend that Red or orange Anti on my next Flush?? And is that sold only as a GM Dex-Cool, or under a different Brand..

Thanks again.
__________________
Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 23:05   #7 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 703
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

You don't want Dex Cool. What does the manual say? There is red and yellow a long life coolant. But it's better to just replace cheaper coolant more frequently.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 23:22   #8 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Illinois
Posts: 703
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Here's the Ford coolant chart

http://www.fcsdchemicalsandlubricant...ckref/scuc.pdf
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2009, 23:44   #9 (permalink)
Administrator
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arkansas
Posts: 6,041
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Nice chart SHOZ

Thanks for posting
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2009, 13:29   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Sterling_Six's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 1,135
Re: AntiFreeze Liquid - Ford Taurus 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123 View Post






Thank you SHoz...that is great.
__________________
Good Luck and good repairing Sterling_6
"You know, just like in that Book, When Jesus beats up Moses to get Religion!!"
Sterling_Six is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:29.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.