Battery died while driving - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-06-2010, 18:26   #1 (permalink)
Sedanchick

Exclamation Battery died while driving

About a week ago, both my check engine light came on and my battery light came on. This past Saturday evening the car seemed to be running fine, eventhough both of those lights we're on but part of the dashboard was not lit up.
Sunday evening, on my way home the radio stopped working, the windows stopped working andthe car almost stopped to a halt! i barely made it home, where I parked the car. After turning the car off I was able to roll up the power windows and sunroof. I tried starting the car up, but I heard a clicking noise as though the battery was dead.
The car sat until morning where I tried the engine again, and again I heard the clicking noise. I waited until mid-afternoon to call my roadside services, who instantly was able to "jump" the battery. I then let the engine run for about fifteen or so minutes. I decided to sit in the car and since it was hot I tried to roll down the windows, they didnt work. The radio didnt work. I drove the car a few feet and it worked fine but none of the gauges worked! The gas gauge was wrong and the speed and rpm registered "0".
I cut the car off because I didn't want to drive it to work. I tried starting it back up ten minutes later (out of curiousity) and I heard the clicking again.

( i had a "new" alternator put in this time two years ago, had tht same alternator worked on this time last year) New battery. new power steering pump. some transmission work. I also have a new air compressor! and the Taurus has 180,000 miles on it.
So I can't think of what else might be wrong? Oh yea.. I had been hearing tht squeaky noise like I needed a new alternator belt!! But the belt appears to be intact, and I only heard the noise when I ran my air conditioning, which I rarely ran!!
Tiffaninghs is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-06-2010, 20:28   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: Battery died while driving

Sounds like your alternator has gone out.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 20:34   #3 (permalink)
Sedanchick

ok, so any other alternatives to my alternator going out?? anything else??
Old 09-06-2010, 21:44   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

What's the voltage at the battery with the engine running?
Old 09-06-2010, 22:57   #5 (permalink)
Sedanchick

I have no idea how to tell what the voltage is when the engine is running! I am just hoping that the company tht put my alternator in, will honor the warranty!! I will update this post tomorrow once I find out!
Old 09-07-2010, 14:05   #6 (permalink)

Your first clue might be the " squeaking slipping belt " ? If you ever get the car running again let it run far awhile. Shut it off and touch the alt pulley and if it's read hot, watch
your fingers, the belt is slipping.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 18:33   #7 (permalink)
Sedanchick

Re: Battery died while driving. none of my gauges worked

It is in the shop as we speak, so I will keep everyone updated. But the fact that all the gauges went haywire really confused me!!
Old 09-21-2010, 14:09   #8 (permalink)

ever find out what the problem was we are having same problem.
crazed is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007