Best way to get out VSS 99 Taurus?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2009, 09:50   #1 (permalink)

Best way to get out VSS 99 Taurus??

I am going to try replacing the VSS on my 99 Taurus, 3.0 DOHC its the AX4N tranny. Hoping this will solve my hard 1/2 shift problem. Am I correct that it the drivers side, above the drive shaft? I think I found it, looks like 3 to 4 wires plug in on top, slide clip. Just want to be sure what I am looking at. Also what is the best way to get to this to replace. Have the part on order. Thanks.
cdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-28-2009, 16:38   #2 (permalink)

Re: Best way to get out VSS 99 Taurus??

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdraft View Post
I am going to try replacing the VSS on my 99 Taurus, 3.0 DOHC its the AX4N tranny. Hoping this will solve my hard 1/2 shift problem. Am I correct that it the drivers side, above the drive shaft? I think I found it, looks like 3 to 4 wires plug in on top, slide clip. Just want to be sure what I am looking at. Also what is the best way to get to this to replace. Have the part on order. Thanks.

Hello and good day to you:

First may I ask have you gotten a Repair Manual for the Vechicle??? Like a Chiltons, or a Haynes...???

First here is a good couple of good Links:

Replacing VSS - Ford Forums

1999 Taurus 24V DOHC - Speedometer failure- VSS replacement - Mombu the Ford Forum

The VSS is located rear center of engine compartment on the trans axle.
To replace the VSS, raise the vehicle, remove the Y pipe, remove the VSS
heat shield, disconnect the VSS wiring harness, remove the VSS retaining
bolt and remove the VSS from the trans axle. You will know you have the
correct sensor by the color of the wires in the harness connector, they are
gry/blk and pnk/org

You WON'T reach it from up
top. You have to unhook the exhaust from the Y-pipe, drop the cradle, and reach over
the trans to get to it. You'll have to remove a heat shroud (foil covered fiberglas)
and kinda feel your way around. There is a bolt with a 10mm head next to the sensor
that has to be removed, then it "should" pull right out. I've run in to some 1997-98s
where the VSS was really stuck in place. The trans needed to be removed to extract
them, due to a little bit of corrosion. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2009, 17:54   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Hello and good day to you:

First may I ask have you gotten a Repair Manual for the Vechicle??? Like a Chiltons, or a Haynes...???

First here is a good couple of good Links:

Replacing VSS - Ford Forums

1999 Taurus 24V DOHC - Speedometer failure- VSS replacement - Mombu the Ford Forum

The VSS is located rear center of engine compartment on the trans axle.
To replace the VSS, raise the vehicle, remove the Y pipe, remove the VSS
heat shield, disconnect the VSS wiring harness, remove the VSS retaining
bolt and remove the VSS from the trans axle. You will know you have the
correct sensor by the color of the wires in the harness connector, they are
gry/blk and pnk/org

You WON'T reach it from up
top. You have to unhook the exhaust from the Y-pipe, drop the cradle, and reach over
the trans to get to it. You'll have to remove a heat shroud (foil covered fiberglas)
and kinda feel your way around. There is a bolt with a 10mm head next to the sensor
that has to be removed, then it "should" pull right out. I've run in to some 1997-98s
where the VSS was really stuck in place. The trans needed to be removed to extract
them, due to a little bit of corrosion. Good luck.
GEEZ, what a detailed description of a nightmare!!!! OK,OK there are those who have the skill to jump right into such a task. But If I were going to change the VSS the first thing I would find is somebody else who was skilled and properly equiped to the work for me. In exchange, I would pay him in cash!

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 19:39   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
GEEZ, what a detailed description of a nightmare!!!! OK,OK there are those who have the skill to jump right into such a task. But If I were going to change the VSS the first thing I would find is somebody else who was skilled and properly equiped to the work for me. In exchange, I would pay him in cash!

Foggy

Well GEEEZZZ Sorry was just trying to help.....Maybe you should find someone to do it for you and pay cash.

I'll make sure to stay away from trying to help answer any other Nightmare Question you may have
Old 03-12-2009, 17:10   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sterling_Six View Post

Well GEEEZZZ Sorry was just trying to help.....Maybe you should find someone to do it for you and pay cash.

I'll make sure to stay away from trying to help answer any other Nightmare Question you may have
Sterling!!! Come on now, I was paying you a complement for having detailed knowlege of how to do the job BUT I ALLUDED TO THAT BEING A HARD, HARD JOB.

Remember in your reply you warned about not being able to get the bolts out SO THE TRANSMISSION had to be removed????? Hey, this is not changing spark plug wires.

And pay somebody I would. NOt everybody has your skill and desire to jump into something as complex as the task you carefully detailed.

Keep smilling Steerling, I enjoy reading your posts!!!!

Foggy
Old 03-12-2009, 18:47   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggy sail View Post
Sterling!!! Come on now, I was paying you a complement for having detailed knowlege of how to do the job BUT I ALLUDED TO THAT BEING A HARD, HARD JOB.

Remember in your reply you warned about not being able to get the bolts out SO THE TRANSMISSION had to be removed????? Hey, this is not changing spark plug wires.

And pay somebody I would. NOt everybody has your skill and desire to jump into something as complex as the task you carefully detailed.

Keep smilling Steerling, I enjoy reading your posts!!!!

Foggy

Foggy....Forgive me...I am sorry I thought you were trying to Rip me a New one for trying to Help....I Misunderstood....and also to add insult to injury...It was quite late when I had read your post....looking back at it I was a jerk...

And again I would like to sincerely appololgy...
Old 03-13-2009, 08:02   #7 (permalink)

No appology needed! These forums are intended to help folks get mechanical things done. It is just that sometimes things get complicated and the run of teh mill shade tree mechanic is better off having a professional do the work. By that I mean employ somebody who has the skills, has the experience, knows how to do the job and has the tools.

Keep smilling Sterling---

Foggy
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007