Best way to tell if equipped with ABS? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
¬Ľ Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto EscrowInsurance

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2003, 18:10   #1 (permalink)

Best way to tell if equipped with ABS?

I am not sure if my 98 Taurus LX has ABS or not. I know that on Toyotas and General Motors cars, the car has a little metal box, with four lines running from it on a ABS equipped car. I am not sure about Fords. Another way to tell on most cars, is to look and see if a "ABS" or "anti-lock" light illuminates on the dash panel, upon turning on the ignition. From a quick glance, I did not see any 4-line brake box around the master cylinder, but not sure if Fords have this type, or placed somewhere else. When I turn on the ignition, I do not see a "ABS" light illuminated, but when the sun is shining on the dash a certain way- I can see a place where a "ABS" light is. I as thinking it was possible that it has ABS, but the light is not working. Or- I know that some cars that are the same use the exact same dash, to cut cost- so that if a certain car had ABS and cruise- it would have a warning light on the dash- with a working bulb, but a car just like it may not have the options and still have the same instrument cluster, but will not have the bulb behind the cluster. Is this the case with the Taurus? Thanks for any information.

1998 Ford Taurus LX 4dr - FOR SALE
1990 Lexus LS400 4dr
1992 Buick Park Avenue 4dr
1989 Pontiac Safari wagon
TaurusLX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2003, 22:33   #2 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

Re: Best way to tell if equipped with ABS?

From my understanding it was a standard option for that year model.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2003, 19:27   #3 (permalink)

Thanks. So is it possible that Fords do not have a visible "four line" brake box below the master cylinder? I am not sure- if it has ABS. I do not have a owners manual yet. If it does have ABS- then the light is out. Thanks.

1990 Lexus LS400 4dr
Old 10-20-2003, 20:29   #4 (permalink)
***** Idiot....

actually i have to correct myself. On the LX and SE models they were optional equipment. The higher based models were standard.
LunaticSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2003, 22:06   #5 (permalink)

Then I am assuming that my 98 LX does not have ABS. Guess I will have to remember I am in a non-ABS brakes car when I drive it. Not good, as I am used to driving a car with ABS. The ABS on my 92 Buick Park Avenue and my old 94 Chevrolet Lumina has kept me out of an accident or two in rainy weather.

1990 Lexus LS400 4dr
Old 10-22-2003, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
FPV Tasmania Member

another way to find out is on a clear stretch of road, jump on the brake pedal
if the pedal pulses and the wheels dont lock up, then it has abs, otherwise it dosnt
Old 10-28-2003, 19:08   #7 (permalink)

Thanks. I thought that was about the only way I would be able to find out. Since I have a car that came standard with ABS and have had two other cars with ABS, I have been able to feel how ABS works. I did drive the Taurus the other day in the rain and it absolutely does not have ABS. I was able to test them on the wet roads. The wheels kept locking. I am selling the car anyway- due to possible transmission problems. Thanks again.

1990 Lexus LS400 4dr
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007