Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2007, 11:17   #1 (permalink)

Question Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

Son pulled out the blower motor on his 2001, 90,000 miles because it had decided to stop working one rainy week when he really the defrost. It gave no symptoms, it just stopped one day. He hooked it direct to battery, where it worked. He reinstalled it and it worked for about 2 days before dying again. The day before it died (the second time) he said it was squeaking.

He is going to try looking at it again, someone suggested spraying WD-40 to possibly loosen it up, or help with connections....would that maybe help? We are assuming the motor is the problem at this point...

I will help him find a replacement part which I think he'll need. Budget is tight for an old car. Any quality preference on NAPA, Advance Auto parts, or Autozone part? Ford is obviously the highest price. Otherwise the range is $49-99. This car won't last forever, so no point in spending lots of $$

Here is what advance has, they are much cheaper, but which one do I need?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...r=Blower+Motor

THis is for Autozone

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP210341/...ductDetail.htm

THis is for napa
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+AC+%2f+Heater

Any suggestions??
whitall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-10-2007, 20:42   #2 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Blower Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitall
Son pulled out the blower motor on his 2001, 90,000 miles because it had decided to stop working one rainy week when he really needed the defrost. It gave no symptoms, it just stopped one day. He hooked it direct to battery, where it worked. He reinstalled it and it worked for about 2 days before dying again. The day before it died (the second time) he said it was squeaking.

He is going to try looking at it again, someone suggested spraying WD-40 to possibly loosen it up, or help with connections....would that maybe help? We are assuming the motor is the problem at this point...

I will help him find a replacement part which I think he'll need. Budget is tight for an old car. Any quality preference on NAPA, Advance Auto parts, or Autozone part? Ford is obviously the highest price. Otherwise the range is $49-99. This car won't last forever, so no point in spending lots of $$

Here is what advance has, they are much cheaper, but which one do I need?
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductL...r=Blower+Motor

This is for Autozone

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP210341/...ductDetail.htm

THis is for napa
http://www.napaonline.com/masterpage...+AC+%2f+Heater

Any suggestions??
There was an issue with the R.cowl screen letting too much water into it's drains and eventually getting into the heater box and the blower motor. Any corrosion on the motor or it's terminals??? May need to replace the resistor block (for Manual A/C) or the blower speed controller (for Auto temp. control)as well. Johnny Mullet knows about it, but I haven't seen him on here in a long time... someone will post another reply. AutoZone sells good replacement electrical parts. Didn't you have a P/S issue with the car before??? How did that come out???
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2007, 06:53   #3 (permalink)

Re: Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

I got the darn steering repaired at Ford ( and I did feel better knowing it was safer now), then found out the trans dipstick gasket was leaking. An unknown quantity of what I thought was steering drips may have been trans fluid! Maybe the steering was not as bad as I thought! There still might be a small trans leak, but nobody has found it, and we've stopped looking...Just check fluid now and then....

My son and his friend's Dad,who helped him, didn't mention corrosion, but I'll have him look today when he pulls it to spray it. He hasn't mentioned a wet floor...

When you say blower speed controller, do you mean the relay/resistor that is down where the motor is, or is this controller somewhere else? The controls for the fan and everything all light up normally, the fan just doesn't come on (it's the electronic one)

Thanks, Hopefully someone will see this and let me know their opinion too. The weekends seem slow for replies....
Old 11-11-2007, 07:30   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

Quote:
I got the darn steering repaired at Ford ( and I did feel better knowing it was safer now), then found out the trans dipstick gasket was leaking. An unknown quantity of what I thought was steering drips may have been trans fluid! Maybe the steering was not as bad as I thought! There still might be a small trans leak, but nobody has found it, and we've stopped looking...Just check fluid now and then....

My son and his friend's Dad,who helped him, didn't mention corrosion, but I'll have him look today when he pulls it to spray it. He hasn't mentioned a wet floor...

When you say blower speed controller, do you mean the relay/resistor that is down where the motor is, or is this controller somewhere else? The controls for the fan and everything all light up normally, the fan just doesn't come on (it's the electronic one)

Thanks, Hopefully someone will see this and let me know their opinion too. The weekends seem slow for replies....
Yep, right next to the blower motor. It is an electronic resistor block in a sense. They call it a speed controller because it has variable speeds rather then 5 specific speeds.
Guess Johnny Mullet lost his job at the Ford dealer so he won't be giving advise here anymore. (He was on here 10/6 to look around.)
Old 11-11-2007, 11:34   #5 (permalink)

HOw do I get the platci wheel off to use on the new one??????I can't get the clip off that holds it on. It seems to be a round clip like thing, not a screw on.
Old 11-11-2007, 16:23   #6 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

Quote:
How do I get the plastic wheel off to use on the new one?????? I can't get the clip off that holds it on. It seems to be a round clip like thing, not a screw on.
From what I can see in my pictures, it is a push-on sheet metal clip. Carefully pry it off with a screwdriver. It should just push on when reinstalling it.
Old 11-12-2007, 06:09   #7 (permalink)

Smile Re: Blowr Motor needs replacing. I need advice!

Thanks. Luckily he did stop at his friend's (whose Dad is very handy, but really hasn't worked on Ford before...) and he helped him get it off. My son actually took himself to the store and bought the part and put it in. It worked yesterday!!! Hopefully it stays good.

I am happy to see him taking initiative now with this car. He hasn't hit me up for a "donation" to the fan cost yet, but I'm sure it's coming!! He is only 17. Working hard so he can buy a cool "system"-subwoofer and amps for this car. What a waste of $$. He also wants "cool" rims, chrome I think. Bigger waste!

Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-12-2007, 17:52   #8 (permalink)
Always the student

Quote:
Thanks. Luckily he did stop at his friend's (whose Dad is very handy, but really hasn't worked on Ford before...) and he helped him get it off. My son actually took himself to the store and bought the part and put it in. It worked yesterday!!! Hopefully it stays good.

I am happy to see him taking initiative now with this car. He hasn't hit me up for a "donation" to the fan cost yet, but I'm sure it's coming!! He is only 17. Working hard so he can buy a cool "system"-subwoofer and amps for this car. What a waste of $$. He also wants "cool" rims, chrome I think. Bigger waste!

Thanks for your advice!
Now is the time to teach him responsibility. Don't give in. Cool is ok, but he's gotta keep it running first. Helping in hard times is one thing, paving the road is another. Pass on what your parents probably taught you.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007