Boy do I hate this car !!!! - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 16:49   #1 (permalink)

Boy do I hate this car !!!!

After changing 2 alternators and 2 batteries the car does the same thing. It starts on the battery and it dies when I unplug the battery. When I put the tester with the battery running it says 12 volts and not the 13.8 as it should.There is power going to the alternator on the big wire(held with a nut),
but no power on the 2 plugs. I'm not even sure if there is power there or not. Can someone give me a clue where to look.
gatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2008, 19:18   #2 (permalink)

Re: Boy do I hate this car !!!!

First off, you should NEVER disconnect a battery with the car running. That's a great way to fry all the electronics in your car--computer, radio, etc. Secondly, there should always be battery voltage on the large red wire at the back of the alternator. That's a direct line to the battery. It's basically the output.

The input is on the connectors. One is field voltage, another sense voltage. But since you didn't tell us what year and engine you have, it's hard to tell you which is which.

You're throwing parts at the problem instead of doing diagnostics. So stop hating the car and read up on how the system works.
Old 09-30-2008, 20:40   #3 (permalink)

Re: Boy do I hate this car !!!!

Problem solved. There was no current going to my 3 wire plug. It must be cut somewhere or corroded. I ran a wire from the battery to the plug and now its charging close to 14.
gatrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007