Brake Pulsing - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2006, 04:56   #1 (permalink)

Brake Pulsing

Greetings, My 2000 Taurus is running fine, and the NEW Tranny worked just fine, on my 2400 mile trip, I just returned from.

Gas mileage was fine, 24mpg- to 36 mpg, with tollway driving giving me 29-36 mpg, very happy!!

Now, on to the next issue. I know this is a problem, on some Taurus's, just recently, while returning from my trip, I am getting a "Pulsing" in the brakes, like the rotors are warped, which I hear is an issue with this car.

It is noticible on rough intersections, and really bad at some of the more heavily traveled intersections. It is not too bad, on newly paved roads, and is not too bad, when I apply HEAVY ,or Very light braking.

But, under normal braking, it is very noticible . The rotors are plenty thick, dont know the Spec. right off hand. but thin metal is not the culprit.

I read somewhere that Semi metalic, or metalic brake pads are better to help prevent this, stop this, any Ideas- you ford guys???

Thanks in advance!!!

Last edited by bfast54; 10-17-2006 at 05:03. Reason: add a line on mileage
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2006, 08:50   #2 (permalink)

Re: Brake Pulsing

Pull your brake rotors and have them checked for thickness, if good have them turned, if not replace. I use the stock replacement pads on my SHO, I have replaced the rotors twice in 177000 miles.
bertha66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2006, 20:22   #3 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Aftermarket rotors are crap and will warp fast. Get a set of Motorcraft rotors and Motorcraft pads. They work very well together.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 04:10   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Brake Pulsing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mullet Man
Aftermarket rotors are crap and will warp fast. Get a set of Motorcraft rotors and Motorcraft pads. They work very well together.
Well, when I bought my 2001 Taurus SEL, it had a fairly recent set of pads on it at the time, but had been sitting for a while so the rotors where covered with some rust, and I had a rough, lightly pulsing pedal. I figured I'd drive it for a little while and it would go away. It didn't, and I eventually replaced it with a set of Autozone rotors (There were 2 choices, the cheap ones and the expensive ones. I choose the expensive ones.) I've had them on since March of 2005 and had a pulsation briefly a few months ago. Inexplicably enough, it seemed to go away after a week. Otherwise they have been good.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2006, 18:32   #5 (permalink)
Always the student

Check for a sticking caliper also.
thefonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 03:30   #6 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Best rotors to get are the cheap ones at AutoZone. More than likely it is the cheap pads or your braking style that isn't aggressive enough to clean off the rotors of pad material.

Go out and do several 60-10 hard stops.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 06:21   #7 (permalink)

I had the same problem with my wifes 98 Taurus.
After 2 sets of Motorcraft rotors warping I switched to aftermarket rotors and pads and I have been fine since. I am not knocking Fords rotors but I had problems over and over again with them warping. The dealership would turn them and within a month they would be crap again.
Mikecjn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2006, 14:41   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHOZ123
Best rotors to get are the cheap ones at AutoZone. More than likely it is the cheap pads or your braking style that isn't aggressive enough to clean off the rotors of pad material.

Go out and do several 60-10 hard stops.

Thanks all , for the advise!!! I do admit, I am not as aggressive on my driving with my "new" car, as I was with the 95, with 199.000 miles!! I did not rag on it, but I drove it hard a few times!!!

THANKS AGAIN, ALL !!!!!!
bfast54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2006, 20:35   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Aftermarket rotors are crap? OMG I have to argue that one. Its the Motorcraft rotors and pads thats giving everyone fits. Go get some cheap aftermarket rotors and some decent ceramic pads (Bendix are Good about 40 bucks) and be done with it.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007