brake Question - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-23-2009, 08:58   #1 (permalink)

brake Question

2000 Taurus. Last night did new front rotors and pads on both sides for a friend of mine. Today she says there's a ring of some sort on the new rotor and the brake pedal pulsates. Any tips or suggestions??
flippy189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2009, 09:12   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: brake Question

Some new rotors come with a glue like protective film to prevent rust. Did you check/remove this before installing?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 09:55   #3 (permalink)

Standard procedure is to shoot brake cleaner on the new rotors to remove the protective film. Then wash the rotor with soap and water before installing. Failure to do that can result in improper break in. Also, did you buy premium rotors, or the cheap white box, no-name stuff. Those are know for being garbage right out of the box. Read these posts

Good brake parts from bad

Prevent brake pedal pulsation
Old 12-23-2009, 13:06   #4 (permalink)

yes i Shot them with brake cleaner and wiped them down.. did not wash with soap and water. Yea their the cheap white box rotors. my buddys girlfriend im doing this for. should i take them off and clean them again? go have them turned? or just tell her there aint nothin to do but spend the money on premium rotors? pulsating is usually a warped rotor though isnt it?
flippy189 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2009, 13:17   #5 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Since she already has them, I'd probably check how much a good set would cost and how much a SLIGHT turning would be. Maybe where she bought them would turn them for her. When they're a cheap set, the heat will warp them again pretty fast.
Old 12-23-2009, 17:35   #6 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Those are know for being garbage right out of the box
Quote:
When they're a cheap set, the heat will warp them again pretty fast.
Yep Yep! Bought a set for my pickup, had to turn them within 100 miles. Didn't really save a thing in the end.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:34   #7 (permalink)

I guess a lot of people that were in the trade ( back then ) arn't on this site. ALL NEW
rotors and drums White box or not are supposed to be turned before installing. We used to anyway. You wouldn't believe how for out a new rotor or drum can be out of the box.
It's a mass produced casting. What do you expect !
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 16:24   #8 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by chipset View Post
I guess a lot of people that were in the trade ( back then ) arn't on this site. ALL NEW
rotors and drums White box or not are supposed to be turned before installing. We used to anyway. You wouldn't believe how for out a new rotor or drum can be out of the box.
It's a mass produced casting. What do you expect !
Very true Chip
Old 12-31-2009, 11:15   #9 (permalink)

Just offhand, what is the torque for a car like a 2000 Taurus? I've never torqued the lugs, but I have a pretty trained hand and never warped a rotor...but hey, I have a torque wrench and I guess I could use it. Still, you never see a tire guy use one.
BRRRRRRRRRRTT!
quadancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 12:29   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

80ft. lb.
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007