Burnt brown transmission fluid-Now what? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-28-2004, 19:10   #1 (permalink)

Burnt brown transmission fluid-Now what?

97 Taurus 3.0 DOHC S VIN 125,3XX miles

Trans fluid is brownish and smells burnt. I just got this car and do not know any history of maintenence on it. I've done a little research and it seems like there is no consensus on whether change the fluid and filter or leave it and be at the transmissions mercy. Just driving it today for a long period of time I'm noticing it's not real crisp from the line, with less than impressive shifts throughout driving. Anyone have any input? How about people that have had burnt fluid and changed it, did it get better or worse? What about changing it and adding a trans cooler? I have a 93 Bronco that I bought with 179,XXX miles on it that also had brownish fluid. I changed the fluid and filter on that and have had no negative trans issues. Thanks for any and all help.
ryancornell is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-11-2004, 00:35   #2 (permalink)
Sho'n Off

Re: Burnt brown transmission fluid-Now what?

I would take it to the local dealer and have the tranny fluid FLUSHED.....NOT changed. Since it is brown and smells burnt already then it is BEST to have the whole system flushed. THis will also get all the fluid out of your torque converter where just "changing" the tranny fluid would not get the fluid out of your converter. It will also help in shifting as well. Its not the cheapest to have done but will help in the long run with the life of your tranny. It usually costs anywhere from 100-130 bucks around my parts. Just call some Ford dealers and check in on it!!
2003 Explorer XLT Limited
Monroe, MI

I'd rather be judged by twelve then carried by six
98shotoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2004, 20:19   #3 (permalink)

Sounds like someone not doing oil maintainance . If this was left go too long o-rings
seals and clutch pacs have probably hardened and it may never work like it did new .
Towing also shortens the oil changes more often .
RUSTY FENDER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2004, 07:21   #4 (permalink)
Not a Tech

With 125,000 miles I wouldn't flush it! The chemicals/detergents they use could cause big problems. I would just change the fluid & filter but use one of many methods to make sure you drain all of the fluid (including torque converter).
Dave P is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007