a/c clutch not engaugin - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-07-2007, 21:38   #1 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
a/c clutch not engaugin

hey guys i have no a/c the clutch is not engaging, from what ived read there is a 12.v coming from the pcm that engages the clutch which turns the compressor on, well i have tried to give it direct 12.v but still it wouldnt engage, i also did a countinuity test of the circuit it's complete which tells me the clutch is ok, i know there is a low pressure switch that wount turn the compressor on if freon is low but shouldnt it work if i bypass it? i also check the low pressure port freon is present. please help me here.
mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 06-08-2007, 04:53   #2 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Martin SD
Age: 70
Posts: 62
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentality
well i have tried to give it direct 12.v but still it wouldnt engage --- please help me here.
your clutch is bad--bob
bobr19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 11:17   #3 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 240
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

I forgot the exact wiring for the clutch but this I know. You can pull one of the relays from the fuse panel under the hood and jump 12V to pin 3 if I remember correctly.

BEFORE YOU GET INTO THAT, ARE YOU SURE THE SYSTEM IS NOT OUT OF FREON????

There is a freon pressure sensor that will prevent the clutch solenoid from being energized IF the pressure is too low. If you do not have the background to start energizing solenoids with test wires, get a can of 'stuff" from Wally World and see what that does.

I put a can of oil into my system along with a can of freon. No gages, just guesses. It works, I think the oil helps keep the seals from leaking but heck, others who have refrigeration backgrounds might post better information. I was going to purchase a pump and gages but then I would need to also get a scale to weigh the amount of freon I install. Might still do that if my problems reoccur. If I do purchase this stuff, I can almost guarantee I will be tripping over it for the next ten years.

Good luck-

Foggy

EDIT: I really have forgotten the wiring but before I would redo the jumping tests, I would definitly look at the circuit diagram. It could be that 12V is constantly provided to the clutch and uses the relay to return the low side of the clutch solenoid to ground. This would complete the electrical circuit allowing the the solenoid to actuate. IF THIS IS THE CASE, APPLYING 12V TO THE SOLENOID WILL GET YOU NOTHING!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 16:46   #4 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

thanks for the reply guys, this is what the repair manual says:Check A/C Clutch Coil Current Draw
Using an ammeter, check Gray/White wire for current draw at A/C clutch coil connector. If current draw is 2.5
4.5 amps, check clutch air gap. Adjust as necessary and retest system. If current draw is not 2.5-4.5 amps, replace A/C clutch coil and retest system


now is there a ammeter on my multimeter? and if so should i put the positive test led on the blk/gray wire and the neg to ground? i notice that both wires come from the relay.
mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 17:19   #5 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 240
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by mentality
thanks for the reply guys, this is what the repair manual says:Check A/C Clutch Coil Current Draw
Using an ammeter, check Gray/White wire for current draw at A/C clutch coil connector. If current draw is 2.5
4.5 amps, check clutch air gap. Adjust as necessary and retest system. If current draw is not 2.5-4.5 amps, replace A/C clutch coil and retest system


now is there a ammeter on my multimeter? and if so should i put the positive test led on the blk/gray wire and the neg to ground? i notice that both wires come from the relay.

Mental-- you will not measure JACK POOP if your system is low on freon. Don't get into brain surgery if you only need a hair cut.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 17:26   #6 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail
I forgot the exact wiring for the clutch but this I know. You can pull one of the relays from the fuse panel under the hood and jump 12V to pin 3 if I remember correctly.

BEFORE YOU GET INTO THAT, ARE YOU SURE THE SYSTEM IS NOT OUT OF FREON????

There is a freon pressure sensor that will prevent the clutch solenoid from being energized IF the pressure is too low. If you do not have the background to start energizing solenoids with test wires, get a can of 'stuff" from Wally World and see what that does.

I put a can of oil into my system along with a can of freon. No gages, just guesses. It works, I think the oil helps keep the seals from leaking but heck, others who have refrigeration backgrounds might post better information. I was going to purchase a pump and gages but then I would need to also get a scale to weigh the amount of freon I install. Might still do that if my problems reoccur. If I do purchase this stuff, I can almost guarantee I will be tripping over it for the next ten years.

Good luck-

Foggy

EDIT: I really have forgotten the wiring but before I would redo the jumping tests, I would definitly look at the circuit diagram. It could be that 12V is constantly provided to the clutch and uses the relay to return the low side of the clutch solenoid to ground. This would complete the electrical circuit allowing the the solenoid to actuate. IF THIS IS THE CASE, APPLYING 12V TO THE SOLENOID WILL GET YOU NOTHING!

this taurus gl take 32 ozs each can has 6 ozs of freon and 8 ozs of oil, the oil takes the moisture out of the system. when u say clutch solonoid i think u mean clutch coil, if im applying direct 12.v to the coil im bypassing the a/c clutch cycling pressure switch. so the coil should engauge the clutch this way
mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2007, 17:33   #7 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail
Mental-- you will not measure JACK POOP if your system is low on freon. Don't get into brain surgery if you only need a hair cut.

Foggy
what does freon has to do with me testing the coil? i think what ur trying to say is that if the a/c cycling pressure swtich says it's low on freon it's not going to send the 12.v needed for the coil, but that's not the case here cuz im getting 12.v at the coil.
mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 10:08   #8 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Cuda_jim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

If you put 12 volts to the clutch and it didn't work the clutch is bad. Just like Bob said.

Double check the air gap (.015) if it;s too large it won't pull the clutch in. Tap it with 12 volts applied. If it engages, you found your trouble. My .02
Cuda_jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2007, 20:07   #9 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 240
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

As I said before, I forgot the circuit. What I suggest is to measure the voltage on the wires feeding the clutch. I forgot if the relay in the fuse box APPLIES 12V to the clutch OR RETURNS THE 12V TO GROUND when activated. For some reason, I think it returns one side of the clutch's 12V to ground rather than applying the power.

If the relay DOES SUPPLY A GROUND RETURN for the clutch, you will measure 12V on each side of the two (if I remember correctly) wires on the clutch connector.

EDIT: You will only have the 12V on both wires when the connector is connected, with the connector off, the 12V will only be on one wire.

Another common problem is the connector itself. Make sure wires in the connector are intact.

I am not trying to pick an arguement over this topic, I am trying to help save you from spinning your wheels. My suggestion for checking the freon first was simply because there is a freon pressure switch that prevents the clutch from activating when the freon is low. What ever the problem is, I wish you teh best in fixing it. Summer is almost here and aircondition is important.

Foggy
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2007, 10:26   #10 (permalink)
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 13
Re: a/c clutch not engaugin

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail
As I said before, I forgot the circuit. What I suggest is to measure the voltage on the wires feeding the clutch. I forgot if the relay in the fuse box APPLIES 12V to the clutch OR RETURNS THE 12V TO GROUND when activated. For some reason, I think it returns one side of the clutch's 12V to ground rather than applying the power.

If the relay DOES SUPPLY A GROUND RETURN for the clutch, you will measure 12V on each side of the two (if I remember correctly) wires on the clutch connector.

EDIT: You will only have the 12V on both wires when the connector is connected, with the connector off, the 12V will only be on one wire.

Another common problem is the connector itself. Make sure wires in the connector are intact.

I am not trying to pick an arguement over this topic, I am trying to help save you from spinning your wheels. My suggestion for checking the freon first was simply because there is a freon pressure switch that prevents the clutch from activating when the freon is low. What ever the problem is, I wish you teh best in fixing it. Summer is almost here and aircondition is important.

Foggy
thanks fog, i finally got the clutch to work, it was the blend door acuator fuse that was blown, now the only way to stop the clutch from kicking in is either i have the control switch on off position or on vent, other wise all other position the clutch it running, is that the way it works?
mentality is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

  Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v3.2.2

All times are GMT -7. The time now is 13:47.



Powered by vBulletin® Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Garage Plus vBulletin Plugins by Drive Thru Online, Inc.