A\C help pressure but not cooling - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2010, 17:03   #1 (permalink)

A\C help pressure but not cooling

Hello, im having some trouble with my 1997 tauruses a\c. When i check the pressure its very high, then the compressor kicks on, and the pressure drops quickly and once it gets down to about 20 the compressor kicks off, then the pressure rises. It has like 70 pounds, so i cant add any, im very confused please anyone?
Zeroto90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-05-2010, 17:28   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: A\C help pressure but not cooling

When the compressor is not running, the pressure on the low side and the high side will equalize. That's why you are seeing 70psi on the low port. When your compressor kicks it, the pressure will lower on the low side and rise on the high side.

The reason it's tripping out at 20 psi is a classic sign of low refrigerant. With A/C on, add some on the low port until the pressure holds between 30-35psi with the valve on the can off.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 13:22   #3 (permalink)

Hello thanks for that response very much. So do you suggest that i jump it at the pressure switch so the compressor runs then add refrigerant while it runs? Also i recall trying this a few weeks ago and i seemed to have trouble getting any pressure to leave the can of refrigerant and into the car, almost as if i had a problem at the valve, i dont know, ill try adding again and if you or anyone else has any more suggestions PLEASE keep them coming, i live in the Imperial Valley in southern California we have 120 degree weather coming! haha anyways thanks everyone
Zeroto90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 14:51   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

You shouldn't have to jump the pressure switch if its cycling on & off. Turn the a/c on max, blower on high and add it in the low (cold) port. Sometimes it takes a while for the system to take as it will freeze in the can/hose. In the past I've had to put the can is warm water get it to go.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 15:29   #5 (permalink)

What gas are you using ? 134A or RedTac 12A ? No offence but as i read your post
it tells me you have NO IDEA of how to charge a system and you shouldn't be trying it.
You DO NOT jump out anything. How do you know the system needs one lb. or 2 ?
How do you know the system is properly charged but there are other problems ? The ONLY way to properly charge a system is complete evacuation and recharge. Then you
know what is in the system. Our A.C. laws will get to you in about 2 years or less. It is
aganst the law to top up a system here. Your next. Again no offence but you could do
more damage than you think. If your topping up with RedTac 12A and have 134A in your system BIG mistake.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007