A/C problem: cooled air won't come out after long driving - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2009, 12:19   #1 (permalink)

A/C problem: cooled air won't come out after long driving

Our Taurus 2001 gives us another challenge after we fixed the fan speed problem.<see The Ford Taurus 2001 Fan speed control knob malfunction>, hopefully there are not related.

Here is what happened, the A/C works fine in local driving(less than 30minutes or less speed), but when we drive it out of town for more than about an hour of trip, the A/C air-outlets will behave like blocking air to come out, and no matter what we switch among the A/C settings(off,A/C,Max A/C or any setting on it) or change the fan speeds, the air just won't come out from the air exits anymore. While I changed the fan speed, i can hear the cooled air was circulated inside of the air-ducts, but just don't feel the cooled air. It looks like something is blocking the air outlets, maybe some duct vent control or the like.

Since every time we sent it to a repair shop, we were not driving long enough, so we did not have the situation of no air out to show them, hence they had never found problem on our Taurus 2001 A/C system, so any suggestion? Thank you!
liolau is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-23-2009, 18:53   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: A/C problem: cooled air won't come out after long driving

Is the cabin air filter stopped up, restricting the airflow through the evaporator coils causing them to freeze?

Just a guess.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 07:08   #3 (permalink)

Thank you for your reply, if i want to check this cabin air filter what should i do? any suggest?
Old 08-25-2009, 07:37   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

The owners manual explains it with pictures. If you can't find it or don't have it, post back.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 17:04   #5 (permalink)

Hi, thank you!
I found those cabinet air filter pictures, so I will replace a new filter and check A/C functioning on next out of town trip, and i will report the result here. Meanwhile, any other suggestions/guesses are welcome.
Old 08-29-2009, 12:23   #6 (permalink)

When I did the filter replacement, i found the Cowl top inner panel shield was missing. Can i just replace the cabin air filter without this cowl top inner panel shield?
Thanks
Old 08-29-2009, 16:55   #7 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

Exclamation Re: A/C problem: cooled air won't come out after long driving

Quote:
Originally Posted by liolau View Post
When I did the filter replacement, i found the Cowl top inner panel shield was missing. Can i just replace the cabin air filter without this cowl top inner panel shield?
Thanks
No. This inner shield re-directs drain water from soaking the filter and getting water in the A/C box. Find one at a salvage yard, it will most likely be cheaper than new from the dealer. Don't forget the 5.5 mm screws too!!!
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 06:35   #8 (permalink)

Hi,
The problem still exists, however we find if we set the A/C to OFF for a couple of minutes then turn it back on again, and A/C will come back. Thank you guys, I probably will just live with it till other suggestion comes up.
Old 09-14-2009, 08:47   #9 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

After shutting it off for a cople of minutes, how quick does it seem blocked again?
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 08:51   #10 (permalink)

Sounds like your evap coil is freezing over. Send it out to a reputable shop that actually
knows how to work on a refrigeration system and have them put the gauges on it. If they are any good at their job they can fix it. This is not a D.I.Y. project.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007