A/C quit working? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2011, 14:48   #1 (permalink)

A/C quit working?

I was driving with my a/c on high, and it suddenly shut off. No a/c, no heat, nothing comes out of the vents. I can hear a click when I turn the control, but that's all I get. This is a '98 Ford Taurus SE. I've had no other issues with the car, mechanical or otherwise. Blown fuse, or something more serious? (It happened on my way to work, so I haven't had a chance to check the fuses myself yet.)

Thanks.
sraosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2011, 16:58   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: A/C quit working?

Does the blower run?
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 17:07   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Does the blower run?
I'm not sure. Very very little air is coming out, but even when I turn on the vent alone, nothing is really coming out. Possibly relevant, I had just come off of a 3-4 gravel road; is it possible something is just clogged, blocking the air flow? I could still feel the hitch in my car when the a/c was turned on, so *something* is working.
Old 07-05-2011, 17:38   #4 (permalink)
Administrator

Does it have the electronic climate controls or the standard knob controls?

Could be a bad blower motor. When you turn up the fan switch can you hear it at all?
Old 07-06-2011, 03:57   #5 (permalink)

Check the voltage to the blower motor under the hood with the ignition to ON and the heater in vent, with the blower on HI. You should have voltage on one conductor, or read battery voltage between the two points on the connector. You could also give the motor a thump to see if the brushes have gotten worn out. If it re-starts with a thump, get a replacement blower motor.
If you do not have battery voltage, check the fuses and switch.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 14:17   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwko View Post
Does it have the electronic climate controls or the standard knob controls?

Could be a bad blower motor. When you turn up the fan switch can you hear it at all?
Knob controls. I do hear it, but it's like a clunky sound. It sounds like something stuck in the fan, to me, but I was told that's pretty much not possible. It makes a sound like if you put a stick in a fan blade. Nothing comes out, can't hear the blower at all, but I think the motor's okay. I still feel the hitch in the car when I turn it off and on. I'm taking it to a mechanic tomorrow to look at it. I spoke to someone yesterday, and he said he thought it might be the condensor, and I've lost freon, but there was nothing to indicate a problem before it just stopped.
Old 07-07-2011, 15:25   #7 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
I spoke to someone yesterday, and he said he thought it might be the condensor, and I've lost freon
Don't take it to that guy...He don't know what he's talking about.

The click you hear is more than likely the compressor kicking in which would mean it does have at least enough freon to allow it to engage. If it lost all freon, it (the compressor) wouldn't kick on at all. The condenser (in front of the radiator) does not have anything to do with the airflow that blows out of the vents. If your not getting airflow from any (defroster, floor or vents) of the outlets, the blower motor is not running. It could be the switch, fuse or the blower motor itself, but its for sure not the A/C system stopping it. Don't let them sell you a A/C overhaul. It's electrical.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:57   #8 (permalink)

If you can fit you hands under the hood, you can remove about 3 screws and the blower and motor will come out for inspection. You could then look inside for a popsicle stick or whatever is jamming the blower.
I agree that your tech may be way off base if he's looking at the condenser.
tom
tomw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:21   #9 (permalink)
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomw View Post
If you can fit you hands under the hood, you can remove about 3 screws and the blower and motor will come out for inspection.
Its under the dash
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007