cam sync.quality - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2011, 17:36   #1 (permalink)

cam sync.quality

I have a 2003 taurus with 107000 miles and figured it would be a good idea to replace the cam syncronizer before it fails and possibly ruins the engine.It isnt making noise or anything but I figured I would replace it anyway.I bought a dorman part #689-117 and it came with a new sensor and the alignment tool.It was $31 from rock auto.All I can say is you get what you pay for!!! This has a very excessive amount of end play in the shaft and an excessive amount of slop in the bushings. I just bought a new motorcraft one, it was $92 but it is alot tighter,I would bet that the one that is in the car now with 107000 is tighter than the dorman one. I will be sending the dorman one back!!
sc2000gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2011, 19:28   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

Re: cam sync.quality

I agree with you. The only way I'll buy anything Dorman if the product if not available in another brand.
jwko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 12:34   #3 (permalink)

Why not send them all back and remove, clean, and re lube your old one ? That way it
does not disturb or alter the gear ware in the cam. A new gear in and old gear usually
causes noise.
chipset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2011, 13:22   #4 (permalink)

I guess if when I get the old one out it seems to be OK then maybe I will.Thanks for the idea
Old 03-05-2011, 11:06   #5 (permalink)

Update- I just changed out the original cam synchronizer today. It wasnt too hard to do Just the plastic cover for the wiring harness, I just took tin snips and cut a notch in the left side of the bottom half plastic wiring harness cover so it would now bend up and out of the way and zip tied it to the throttle body.I also zip tied the wiring harness out of the way. The old synchronizer wasnt really worn much. It had very little play in it but I installed the new motorcraft one anyways so I wouldnt have to worry about.I was expecting it to be pretty worn from what I have read about online withpeople saying they fail sometimes at 80,000 miles.This one has 107,000 miles on it and probably wouldnt have failed anytime soon.I guess maybe it was in such good shape because I bought the car new and changed the oil every 3000 miles and used the motorcraft oil so it has been very well maintained.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007