Ford Forums banner

Can not remove the oil drain plug

5K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  thefonz 
#1 ·
It's the first time for me to change engine oil by myself. My car is 00 Taurus,DOHC. I found the oil drain plug underneath the engine in the center line of the vehicle. The 13mm socket fits the oil drain plug, but someone told me 15mm socket should be used. I am a little confused. What I found is not the oil drain plug? Unfortunately, there is no enough place to play the break bar, maybe my socket is too long, and then I can not remove the oil drain plug by open end wrench. It should not be seized because the engine oil was changed three months ago by a dealer. May I use penetrating oil? What should I do?
Thanks a lot
Peter

#2 ·
Some Fords have two drain plugs on the oil pan, make sure you use the lowest one. It really doesn't matter what size someone told you it is, use whatever size fits it properly. Personally, I prefer 6 point sockets on almost everything. Penetrating oil is fine to use. And of course, make sure you have the ole righty tighty, lefty loosey down and you should be good to go. You shouldn't need a breaker bar.

#3 ·
:hit::hit:

Hello and good day Pete:

I also have a 2000 DOHC 24v Is yours a Duratec?? My Drain plug is a 15mm, and should come right off with a good 12point short 1/2" socket, and wrench.

The Plug may come off a little tight but not that tight...god I hope now one put some LockTight on that thing.

#5 ·
Still does not work by spraying penetrating oil on the plug. Ever wanted to give up and went to garage to get the oil changed, but they did not permit me to take a look,so drove back. This weekend plan to use deep wall socket that may avoid the block when play break bar.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.