Car Dies While Driving :( :( :( - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2009, 20:57   #1 (permalink)

Car DIES when driving! HELP!

Hey everybody,

I'm at my wits end here, I can't take it anymore. Recently I installed a sound system in my 1998 Ford Taurus. First off, the system isn't too big the subs maximum output is only 550W. So everything is installed so I take the car out on a drive and I'm driving around for about 20 minutes and all of a sudden my lights start getting dim then I lose power steering and the gauges and stuff stopped working. So I call my friend to come and help me jump it so I did and the car only ran for a minute more before it died again so I had to get it towed home. So I figured I'll charge the battery overnight with one of those 12v battery charger things so I did then I turned off my sub woofer and head-unit and I tried to drive it and it happens all over again.

So in frustration I headed to Advanced Auto and purchased a new battery (Optimum Red top) and a new alternator. So this time I thought it was all good and this time it lasted for about 35-40 minutes of driving time this time because I guess the battery is higher quality. What could POSSIBLY be wrong?! I don't understand.

Oh yeh and by the way before it's about to die the car starts to beep in slow intervals.

Thanks.
thesaintex is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2009, 21:02   #2 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Car DIES when driving! HELP!

Maybe it's not charging. Your alternator may be bad. Do you have a voltmeter? Hook it to the battery and when the car is running the volts should go up from engine off.
Bert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 21:08   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
Maybe it's not charging. Your alternator may be bad. Do you have a voltmeter? Hook it to the battery and when the car is running the volts should go up from engine off.
The thing is, I replaced the alternator AND battery right after this happened. It also tested good at Advanced Auto Parts.
Old 08-25-2009, 21:19   #4 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

But is the charge getting to the battery?
Old 08-25-2009, 21:26   #5 (permalink)

It seems like the car only runs off of what the battery has what's left in it. For instance if I charge the battery fully overnight then it only runs on that full charge then it dies. It doesn't seem to be holding a charge, it's really odd.
Old 08-25-2009, 21:33   #6 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

That's why you need to check to see if the alternator is charging the battery. If you have a bad battery and jump start the car it would run until you shut it off, as long as the alternator is charging the system. In other wirds the car runs on the alternator and the battery is charged at the same time.
Old 08-25-2009, 21:37   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtg143 View Post
That's why you need to check to see if the alternator is charging the battery. If you have a bad battery and jump start the car it would run until you shut it off, as long as the alternator is charging the system. In other wirds the car runs on the alternator and the battery is charged at the same time.
Could it possibly be a fried or bad cable going from the alternator to the battery while I installed my system? If so, how would I check this?
Old 08-28-2009, 18:22   #8 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

Re: Car Dies While Driving :( :( :(

Did you check to see what the voltage is at the battery when it's running?
Old 08-28-2009, 18:26   #9 (permalink)

We charged the battery fully and took it to Advanced Auto and they tested the battery and alternator and they said everything looked fine.
Old 08-28-2009, 19:04   #10 (permalink)
2002 F150 XLT

They connected to the battery with the engine running?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007