Ford Forums banner

Changing ball joint

3K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  Sterling_Six 
#1 ·
Ok. I am to the point where I only have the spindle nut, tie rod end, and the nut where the strut sits in the knuckle.

Can I just undo the tie rod at the knuckle? The manual says to loosen the lock not on the threaded portion.

I don't have a press or means to heat the ball joint, so I am gonna remove the knuckle and take it to a machine shop and have it pressed in. Unless, you guys think I can swing the knuckle out and press the joint in fairly easy

Oh, and I have a 2000 Taurus sedan in case you guys are wondering now :)

thanks
JJ

And any other suggestions are welcome also

#2 ·
Just remove the tie rod at the knuckle.

I think taking the whole knuckle to a machine shop is a good choice. Trying to press out the joint on a Taurus is a real P.I.T.A. because the receiver tubes with the standard joint press will not work.

#7 ·
Well here is the Update:

I call the local dealer here in Green Bay Wisconsin, and they made it Right.

They had a Tow Truck come and get the car. Replaced the Coil Springs Hell they even gave me a 4 wheel alignment, and replaced the Ball Joint I was having trouble with for only $60.00. (no charge for the alignment)...

Thanks again guys for getting me on this you guys are awesome.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.