Cigarette lighter always powered in 1996 Sable GS wagon - want to change - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
» Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2005, 17:12   #1 (permalink)

Cigarette lighter always powered in 1996 Sable GS wagon - want to change

I have a 96 Sable GS Wagon and I recently got a power adapter for my iPod to plug into the cigarette lighter. The problem is that the adapter always draws power, so I have to unplug it whenever I turn the car off because the cigarette ligher is always hot. I want it to turn off when I turn the car off. Is there anything I can do to make it this way?
bigdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-21-2005, 17:20   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cigarette lighter always powered in 1996 Sable GS wagon - want to change

Nevermind, I found a power source connected to the ignition.
bigdmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2005, 08:04   #3 (permalink)

Re: Cigarette lighter always powered in 1996 Sable GS wagon - want to change

Sorry, I've just gotta comment here.... one of the most annoying things to me about Japanese and lots of European cars is that their lighters are NOT powered withthe key off. What a pain! Can't run accessories unless the key is on.

Not to mention the bother of needing the key to operate windows et al.

And on the Japanese cars with all the integrated systems, you can't just go and swap wires in the fuse block to power accessories for fear of feedback in other circuits.

(Did I mention that I'm in the process of finding the best way to get all-the-time power to the windows, top, and lighter in my fianceé's Mitsubishi Eclipse?)

Just one quick wire swap to make the Sable's windows work all the time, like most American cars.

More to the point of the original post - most modern accessories draw so little current that they can be left "on" all the time with no fear of draining a battery or overheating.
tristar is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007