Climate control issue - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2006, 10:12   #1 (permalink)
In Vino Veritas

Climate control issue

Hi there!

The blower in my Taurus is not blowing. I have found no bad fuse, nor is anything visibly disconnected under the dash. The climate selector switch works fine, and the temp adjusts fine, but the blower motor will not come on when the system is engaged.

I have recently changed the factory radio for an aftermarket deck with a Metra install kit, and everything worked for a week or so.

If anyone can tell me what actuates the blower motor when the climate selector is moved from 'off', it would give me a direction in which to look. I realize this could be many things, but I can't help but believe that it is related to my stereo install.

Thanks,
Richard
Superheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-17-2006, 07:54   #2 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

Re: Climate control issue

Probably could if I knew what year and what kind of heater option it is.

But sounds like the blower control module.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 11:33   #3 (permalink)
In Vino Veritas

Yeah, I suppose I should have included more info.

It is a 2002 SES, and has what I assume are standard heat and a/c controls. The temp selector is electronic.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:45   #4 (permalink)
NESHO SCT Tuner

I guess the easiest way to tell if you have the electronic heater controls is how do you set the temperature. If it is a button and not a dial then you can do a self test on the system.

To enter the self-test, press the OFF and floor buttons simultaneously and then press the AUTO button within two seconds. The display will show a dashed line in the center of the climate control display window of the integrated control panel (ICP).

The test may run as long as 30 seconds. Record all DTCs displayed. The self-test is completed when 888 appears in the center of the climate control display window of the ICP.

It may just be the cheap relay under the hood though.
SHOZ123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 12:28   #5 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Take a look at the passenger side wiper cowl. Is there a gap between it and the windshield? Water gets into the blower and resistor from there. Common problem.
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2006, 06:24   #6 (permalink)
In Vino Veritas

I appreciate all of the replies thus far.

The temp selector is indeed a dial (it is electronic, but not the pushbutton unit that you describe), so I cannot perform the self-test on the system. There doesn't seem to be a gap between the cowl and windshield, so I can assume no water leak either.

I'm going to borrow a DMM and a few accessories and ensure continuity between all of the principle connections on the relay, blower speed switch and blower motor. I have a wiring diagram of the climate control system to assist me.
Old 09-30-2006, 17:05   #7 (permalink)
In Vino Veritas

Smile Re: Climate control issue

I fixed it!

After checking everything I could think of, I decided to look around for anything left unplugged. With the aid of an inspection mirror, I discovered a plug hiding between the stereo/climate control panel and the ashtray. Without the mirror, I was not able to see in there. This was left unplugged from the climate selector switch, which I also could not see as a result of the new, larger CD player above.

I must have inadvertently left it unlatched when I plugged it in initially.

I appreciate all of the suggestions!
Old 09-30-2006, 21:55   #8 (permalink)
Hi-Tech Redneck

Glad you got it fixed!
Johnny Mullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007