Cmon Ford! Do you really have to pull the dahboard?? - Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars
Ford Forum Ford Forum

» Auto Insurance
» Featured Product
ยป Wheel & Tire Center

Go Back   Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007
Register Home Forum Active Topics Photo Gallery Auto Loans Garage Mark Forums Read Auto Escrow

Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007 Forum for discussion of the Ford Taurus, Mercury Sable and Ford Taurus SHO. Covers vehicle years: 1986-2007

FordForums.com is the premier Ford Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2008, 05:55   #1 (permalink)

Cmon Ford! Do you really have to pull the dahboard??

When we bought my son's 96 Taurus, the guy had the heater core bypassed because he said it was "Leaking". I went to replace it yesterday and the manual says that the entire dashboard needs to be removed I tried to go around the manual but the heater core only slides out 3 inches before making contact with the lower framework of the dashboard. Anyone know any tricks to remove this?

Also, the heater core and the surounding structure appear clean...no signs of any old anti-freeze residue. I may hook it back up today and look for leakage. I DO NOT want to pull out the entire dashboard to change a frickin heater core. The Blue Oval strikes again
a-ford-able is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2008, 14:04   #2 (permalink)

Re: Cmon Ford! Do you really have to pull the dahboard??

Nobody had to change a heater core? Someone out there has to have done this before. Removing the entire dashboard is a very extensive job....help!
Old 02-17-2008, 14:42   #3 (permalink)
Ex-Ford master tech

Yes, you have to remove the instrument panel, at least enough to pull the right side back to the seats. It is not as bad as it sounds.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2008, 20:45   #4 (permalink)
Multi-Group Moderator

cool Re: Cmon Ford! Do you really have to pull the dahboard??

It's not bad if it doesn't have the full console that mounts to the dash. The full console has to be removed first. The non-full console, which is the flip-fold console you just have to fold it back into the seat position.
tbird100636 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24   #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the response. Is there a way to only pull the right side back, or do you have to remove the gauge cluster, drop the steering column, and pull back the entire dash? That's what the manual shows.....I'm just trying to get a shortcut. I only need 3 or 4 inches more to wiggle out the heater core.
Thanks
Old 02-18-2008, 03:46   #6 (permalink)
NB & NCII V8 Fairlanes

No shortcuts just grit your teeth, roll up your sleaves and get on with it.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:19   #7 (permalink)
Ex-Ford master tech

I don't pull the cluster or the column. You can disconnect the electrical from the column, remove the large connectors under the left side that go to the dash, disconnect the steering column shaft from the coupler, and after removing the dash bolts and right hand electrical pull the dash back and set it on the seat.
btexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2008, 18:46   #8 (permalink)

it sucks but thats how it is

the later trucks are the same way im about to do one in a 98 pickup and it has to have the column dropped and the entire dash and frame pulled to even get to the boxes

did a plymouth breeze 99 last winter and it was entire dash board both front seats, entire console assembly, shifter assembly anbdparking brake assembly and carpeting all had to go

had the entire car torn apart to do that one as well

its how it goes

the cars are built around the core

take your time

i do them without bagging parts or taking pics

but some ppl need to

it depends..

the 96 bonneville one was pretty easy compared to most the carpeting glovebox and a couple other things was all in that one,
the easiest one so far for the most part other than the hose connections are way deep buried next to the strut behind the engine down where you cant reach them though

so that sucks

good luck
'57 F-100 all original solid complete needs restored;
'77 F150 4x4 rebuilt 351C, C-6, NP205 brand new 33" mudders, new interior and newer paint; nice 15x10 alum rims, 3.55 axles, for sale, many pics, $7,500;
'69 Fairlane for parts only, rusted;
'97 F150 4x4 pickup 4.9L auto blue leaks trans fluid, drives like a log wagon
fast68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Ford Forums - Mustang Forum, Ford Trucks, Ford Focus and Ford Cars > Ford Cars and PAG Vehicles > Ford Taurus | Mercury Sable | Ford Taurus SHO | 1986-2007